Root Password

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
froggertplox

Root Password

Post by froggertplox »

I was recently given a computer with linux mint on it, coming from nothing but windows it's...new to say the least. So far I've found I like the way everything seems logical, but because I was given this computer \ I was wondering. Is there anyway to reset a root password and/or and "administrative password? I was trying to download wine but couldn't because I didn't have the right password. I do have the old root password but would like to reset it and the root user if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Root Password

Post by viking777 »

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... t+password

See that box at the top right hand corner of the page you are viewing? It is called forum search. We like to encourage people to use it before posting.

Thank you :)
froggertplox

Post by froggertplox »

I did search >.< but maybe just to specifically.
nixguy

Post by nixguy »

froggertplox wrote:I was recently given a computer with linux mint on it, coming from nothing but windows it's...new to say the least. So far I've found I like the way everything seems logical, but because I was given this computer \ I was wondering. Is there anyway to reset a root password and/or and "administrative password? I was trying to download wine but couldn't because I didn't have the right password. I do have the old root password but would like to reset it and the root user if possible.

Thanks for any help in advance.
when you got the computer did they give you the user id and password to login, if it's the only user id, then the root password is the same as your login password.

if not you could try this

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/339

or

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 9&t=124480

Cheers

Nix
bigj231

Post by bigj231 »

Just remember, root=bad. Don't use it. If you needed to use it, you wouldn't need to ask how or why. Sudo is much better and safer. It just gives you temporary root for one operation.
SaintDanBert
Level 4
Level 4

Post by SaintDanBert »

Since you can login, can you use the 'sudo' command? If so, you can accomplish any administrative
command desired with 'sudo someCommand'.

Using the sudo command itself, you can set a root password without a lot of trouble.
The option "-i" asks for a shell that simulates an original login session.

Code: Select all

prompt$  sudo  -i {ENTER}
... password dialog ...
prompt# 
The trailing hash mark on the prompt informs you that you are running a shell as "root".
To set a root password, simply do the following:

Code: Select all

prompt# passwd {ENTER}

Enter new password: ***********
Renter password:  **********
prompt#
You can end your root session using either the 'exit' command or simply CTRL-D to provide an
end-of-file to the shell's STDIN.

Now, you can do whatever you want with your root account using the password you provided.
Like others in this thread, I discourage routine operations using a root login and encourage
use of 'sudo' or 'gksu' or similar to admin activities.

Hoping this helps,
~~~ 0;-Dan

Return to “Beginner Questions”