HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby bereal777 on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:33 pm

Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.
It had windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. Now I formatted and installed Linux Mint 14(Nadia) xfce 64 bits.

When I started linux mint with the cd, I then clicked on "install linux mint" then I got a little bit worried when i saw that I had no internet conection; that was a recomendation besides of having 6 gbs of available hard disk space and all that stuff, but i saw i had no internet conection, then I said to myself, "ok, i will continue anyway, i hoped that after instaliing the operating system it would had fixed.

I finally Formatted my laptop and installed linux mint14, but i see now that I´m still without wifi, then I conected my laptop with a cable and tried updating everything in the update manager, but after that still no solution found, i am still without wifi, when i activate it in my laptop is still with the red light not blue.

So Please Can someone help me fix this.
Thanks
bereal777
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby jungle_boy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:46 pm

You need to install the wireless card linux driver.

Open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all
inxi -N


Post here the output.
LM17 Cinnamon (PC and Notebook) with AMD Catalyst
HP Pavilion g4-1316br, AMD Quad Core, 1,5 GHz, Radeon 6520G/7450M,
Image
Linuxcounter Registered User #506065 (2008)
User avatar
jungle_boy
Level 6
Level 6
 
Posts: 1216
Joined: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:51 pm
Location: Amazon Rain Forest, Brazil

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby bereal777 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:24 am

ok i typed inxi -n, and after that it appears a text that says network: and i have to cards one for ethernet and the other broadcom. what should i do after typing inxi-n in the terminal?
bereal777
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Re to : jungle boy

Postby bereal777 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:45 am

ok after I typed inxi - N

The Result is:
"Network: Card-1: NVIDIA MCP67 Ethernet driver: forcedeth
Card-2: Broadcom BCM4311 802.11a/b/g driver: b43-pci-bridge"

what should I do Now?
bereal777
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby caf4926 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:18 am

Assuming you have a wired connection paste this into a terminal

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer


Might be worth a reboot after
Image
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby bereal777 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:42 am

thanks a lot caf4926, now I have wireless Internet, Thank you very much I can Now continue using mint, so thenk you very much.
I can say that problem is solved. :D :D :D :D :D :D
bereal777
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:25 pm

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby caf4926 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:47 am

bereal777 wrote:thanks a lot caf4926, now I have wireless Internet, Thank you very much I can Now continue using mint, so thenk you very much.
I can say that problem is solved. :D :D :D :D :D :D

You are welcome
Image
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby aripaul on Tue May 28, 2013 10:45 am

bereal777 wrote:Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.
It had windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. Now I formatted and installed Linux Mint 14(Nadia) xfce 64 bits.

When I started linux mint with the cd, I then clicked on "install linux mint" then I got a little bit worried when i saw that I had no internet conection; that was a recomendation besides of having 6 gbs of available hard disk space and all that stuff, but i saw i had no internet conection, then I said to myself, "ok, i will continue anyway, i hoped that after instaliing the operating system it would had fixed.

I finally Formatted my laptop and installed linux mint14, but i see now that I´m still without wifi, then I conected my laptop with a cable and tried updating everything in the update manager, but after that still no solution found, i am still without wifi, when i activate it in my laptop is still with the red light not blue.

So Please Can someone help me fix this.
Thanks


Hi everyone,

I have a Laptop HP Pavilion G6-2240sq cu procesor Intel® CoreTM i7-3632QM 2.20GHz, Ivy Bridge, 6GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB and just like bereal i have windows 7 and i installed linux mint 14, 64 bit, and not wireless. I did however do all this about the terminal and installing, i installed in software center anything related to my wireless, in synaptic also and nothing works. I am a bit frustrated. I try to go to network settings and configure my wireless but it's not in bold so when i click the wireless nothing happens. If i have a connection by internet cable it works fine, but wireless is dead and gone....laptop is new and i have no more ideas.

Please give me some advice...
aripaul
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby caf4926 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:52 am

aripaul wrote:
bereal777 wrote:Hi everyone, I am a Linux Novice, I have an hp laptop pavilon dv6000 special edtion with 4 gigs of ram and a procesor amd x2 thurion 64 mobile technology TL-58.
It had windows 7 Ultimate 32 bits. Now I formatted and installed Linux Mint 14(Nadia) xfce 64 bits.

When I started linux mint with the cd, I then clicked on "install linux mint" then I got a little bit worried when i saw that I had no internet conection; that was a recomendation besides of having 6 gbs of available hard disk space and all that stuff, but i saw i had no internet conection, then I said to myself, "ok, i will continue anyway, i hoped that after instaliing the operating system it would had fixed.

I finally Formatted my laptop and installed linux mint14, but i see now that I´m still without wifi, then I conected my laptop with a cable and tried updating everything in the update manager, but after that still no solution found, i am still without wifi, when i activate it in my laptop is still with the red light not blue.

So Please Can someone help me fix this.
Thanks


Hi everyone,

I have a Laptop HP Pavilion G6-2240sq cu procesor Intel® CoreTM i7-3632QM 2.20GHz, Ivy Bridge, 6GB, 750GB, AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB and just like bereal i have windows 7 and i installed linux mint 14, 64 bit, and not wireless. I did however do all this about the terminal and installing, i installed in software center anything related to my wireless, in synaptic also and nothing works. I am a bit frustrated. I try to go to network settings and configure my wireless but it's not in bold so when i click the wireless nothing happens. If i have a connection by internet cable it works fine, but wireless is dead and gone....laptop is new and i have no more ideas.

Please give me some advice...


Can you post result of

Code: Select all
inxi -N
Image
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby caf4926 on Tue May 28, 2013 10:54 am

Actually might be better to see
Code: Select all
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
Image
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby aripaul on Tue May 28, 2013 11:02 am

caf4926 wrote:Actually might be better to see
Code: Select all
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net


i am running linux mint 14 kde by the way...forgot to say that...when i input that command this is what it says:
07:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3290]
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:18ec]
07:00.1 Bluetooth [0d11]: Ralink corp. Device [1814:3298]
--
08:00.0 Ethernet controller [0200]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller [10ec:8136] (rev 05)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device [103c:183e]
Kernel driver in use: r8169
aripaul
Level 1
Level 1
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 28, 2013 10:37 am

Re: HELP!!! I have no wireless!!!

Postby caf4926 on Tue May 28, 2013 12:03 pm

A quick google tells me there are issues with your device
EG:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2104129

I'd probably look at installing the necessary build packages and getting the firmware form Ralink http://www.mediatek.com/_en/07_download ... php?sn=501
Image
Mint 16 Cinnamon_64
User avatar
caf4926
Level 7
Level 7
 
Posts: 1784
Joined: Mon Mar 22, 2010 3:21 pm
Location: UK Lake District

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.
 

Return to Newbie Questions

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], superstinger, wafer5 and 23 guests