Dual install of Mint and Cinnamon disabled disc boot option?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
davidfromnewengland

Dual install of Mint and Cinnamon disabled disc boot option?

Post by davidfromnewengland »

First install was Linux Mint Maya Mate. When the software manager failed to load, I upgraded to Linux Mint Cinnamon. When I boot into Cinnamon, I have no problems with the software manager loading. However, since then, I have not been able to boot a new install(Ubuntu, Windows) from a dvd.
Is my problem with conflicting Mint versions, or something else? And if so, how do I remove Maya?
I'm using a 64 bit Lenovo laptop, purchased new last fall.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
thegreatgazoo

Re: Dual install of Mint and Cinnamon disabled disc boot opt

Post by thegreatgazoo »

Booting the dvd is handled by the Bios.
This option should be available before the Linux boot loader (grub) even starts.
Check your bios settings or watch the screen at startup that tell you which button to press to change the boot options.
davidfromnewengland

Re: Dual install of Mint and Cinnamon disabled disc boot opt

Post by davidfromnewengland »

Thanks, Gazoo
The bios is set to boot from the dvd first, and never had a problem with it previously. I can feel the dvd working, and have checked the efficacy of the boot discs. But it quickly reverts to the inux boot options, either Mate or Cinnamon, seemingly ignoring the disc(s).

Return to “Beginner Questions”