Console frequency, keyboard layout switch

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Console frequency, keyboard layout switch

Postby vervolk66 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:43 pm

I installed Mint 12 LXDE onto old computer (Celeron 816, 512 RAM).
I'm using old flatscreen monitor COMPAQ TFT5000S. It runs 1024x768 @60Hz. I set those for the graphical console, no problem.
However, when I switch to the text console (Alt-F1 etc.), there is virual buffer there, the monitor shows message box "Input signal out of range",
the picture is visible behind the box, but it is shifted to the right by 3 cm.
The box obscures some text on the screen, and the menu button on the monitor isn't working.

The same was happening on the graphical console before I set it to 60Hz (and saved),
so I know this happens when the system runs the video at @70,1 Hz (seemingly, Mint 12 LXDE wants to do so on my comp).

Q1: How to configure the frequency for the console (or framebuffer)? What to read (what man or docs), and where/what are the config files?

Also
Q2: I installed English language with Russian keyboard map. Luckily, I can switch between Ru and En letters by pressing Alt+Shift,
both in the X and console. I would like to configure switching by Ctrl+Shift. What/where are the config files?
The distro is Mint 12 LXDE i386 newly installed.

Thanks.
vervolk66
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions