grub4dos issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Addryann

grub4dos issue

Post by Addryann »

Hello erevyone. I was wondering if somenone can help me with this great distro. I have laptop without a HDD at work, so I'm using a customized Hiren's Boot CD on my flash drive. I have on that drive Linux Mint 14 MATE and Cinnamon with this configuration:

title Linux Mint 14.1 Cinnamon\nDistributie Linux bazata pe Ubuntu, cu mediu desktop Cinnamon.
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /HBCD/Mint/Cinnamon/casper/initrd.lz
kernel /HBCD/Mint/Cinnamon/casper/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=/HBCD/Mint/Cinnamon/Mint_14.1_Cinnamon.iso file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper noprompt quiet splash locale=ro_RO.UTF-8 --
initrd /HBCD/Mint/Cinnamon/casper/initrd.lz

title \n
root

title Linux Mint 14.1 MATE\nDistributie Linux bazata pe Ubuntu, cu mediu desktop MATE.
find --set-root --ignore-floppies /HBCD/Mint/MATE/casper/initrd.lz
kernel /HBCD/Mint/MATE/casper/vmlinuz iso-scan/filename=/HBCD/Mint/MATE/Mint_14.1_MATE.iso file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper noprompt quiet splash locale=ro_RO.UTF-8 --
initrd /HBCD/Mint/MATE/casper/initrd.lz

title \n
root

The issue I'm having is that the systems boots up, but I can't see in file manager the flash drive from where I'm booting. Also I'm wondering if I can make a save file for persistent changes, like in Slax or Porteus.
Thanks a lot in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: grub4dos issue

Post by viking777 »

I can't help you with the first bit, but for persistence on a usb stick there is a tutorial here:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 55#p593918

(it is about lmde, but the principle is the same for any distro)

Of course you cannot work on a usb stick from that same usb stick you have to have some other media containing gparted in order to carry this out.

Also unetbootin will create persistence on a usb stick (with some distros, mint included).
Addryann

Re: grub4dos issue

Post by Addryann »

I understand, thanks for the reply, I'm waiting/searching for a solution to the 1st issue.

Return to “Beginner Questions”