disable the panel?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

disable the panel?

Postby jonass on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:29 am

I can't seem to find any information that is up to date on this. I am running mint 14 cinnamon and set up cairo dock and would like to disable the default gnome/cinnamon panel. I looked for it in gconf-editor but couldn't seem to find it.
jonass
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: disable the panel?

Postby viking777 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:06 am

Maybe only a workround this, but I think it will do what you want. Go to Cinnamon Settings>Panel. Check the boxes for "Use customised panel size" and "Allow Cinnamon to scale panel text .........." then change the panel height to zero. Click the "Panel edit mode" box to see the effect (switch off the edit mode before leaving the dialog box).
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Flemur on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:38 am

Or find the name of the panel executable* and rename it.

*This will probably do it (On xfce it's called xfce4-panel) :
$ ps -ef | grep panel
Mint 16/Xfce/fluxbox, Manjaro/fluxbox, LMDE/MATE
Flemur
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jonass on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:38 pm

I tried to find the panel in gconf-editor and in system monitor but wasn't able to locate it, nothing that was called panel. However I did edit the panel settings so it is on top with a custom size of 0 and a show delay of 800milliseconds and that is working for now, good idea viking.
jonass
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions