Looking for an easy backup tool

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Looking for an easy backup tool

Postby simplex on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:01 am

I'm looking for a very simple tool that just makes a compressed tarball (.tgz) of my /home once a week and stores it under, say, /var/tmp/backup.

It should also run if I hadn't switched my machine on on that particular backup day.

I know I could do this with cron-jobs and shell scripts but why invent the wheel twice?

BTW: What's the best medium for long-time storage of backups? If the answer is "put it on a filehoster", then the tool should also encrypt the tarball, because I trust nearly no one. :wink:

Thank you,
S.
simplex
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Looking for an easy backup tool

Postby wayne128 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:12 am

Try fsarchiver

read this thread, simple enough to backup file system
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=124636&p=686745#p682592
wayne128
Level 10
Level 10

Postby usbtux on Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:15 am

Clonzilla ( use on the wonderful Parted Magic) easy backup and clone, if you use a little common sense and work your way through it ( do it once and its easy then) Very versatile.
Redo backup nice easy backup with dedicated gui

The other way would be as you say with a script or try Grsync using --exclude for folders not to backup.
then anacron to automate.

Backup media. weekly to a different disk on the same machine , monthly/quarterly - external hdd only used for backups.

also look at FreeFileSync available fro linux, windows - worked ok on windows haven't tried on linux.
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kwisher on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:21 am

simplex wrote:I'm looking for a very simple tool that just makes a compressed tarball (.tgz) of my /home once a week and stores it under, say, /var/tmp/backup.

It should also run if I hadn't switched my machine on on that particular backup day.

I know I could do this with cron-jobs and shell scripts but why invent the wheel twice?

BTW: What's the best medium for long-time storage of backups? If the answer is "put it on a filehoster", then the tool should also encrypt the tarball, because I trust nearly no one. :wink:

Thank you,
S.

I like BackInTime. You should backup to an external source instead of the local drive.
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Postby eanfrid on Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:47 pm

Have a look to "deja-dup". It is nicely integrated with Ubuntu/Mint, easy to use, can encrypt your backup and is convenient for simple backup tasks like those you described.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions