How to make everything a bit faster

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
BlackSnowflake

How to make everything a bit faster

Post by BlackSnowflake »

Hey guys! I'm sort of a newbie (I've been using Mint now for a month or two) and I was wondering how I could make it faster? Not that it's not fast enough, but I always want to get every last bit of speed out of my computer.

result of inxi -F:

Code: Select all

System:    Host: linuxmint Kernel: 3.5.0-17-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 14 Nadia
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: V-P8H67E version: Rev 1.xx Bios: American Megatrends version: 0702 date: 02/11/2011
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i3-2100 CPU (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) 
           Clock Speeds: 1: 1600.00 MHz 2: 1600.00 MHz 3: 1600.00 MHz 4: 1700.00 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 440] 
           X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) FAILED: nouveau Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Gallium 0.4 on NVC1 GLX Version: 3.0 Mesa 9.0
Audio:     Card-1: NVIDIA GF108 High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel Sound: ALSA ver: 1.0.25
           Card-2: Intel 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller driver: snd_hda_intel
           Card-3: Midiman driver: USB Audio
Network:   Card-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller driver: r8169 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: f4:6d:04:e0:cc:e2
           Card-2: Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: 6c:fd:b9:32:b3:81
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 2008.2GB (13.6% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: SAMSUNG_HD204UI size: 2000.4GB 
           2: id: /dev/sdb model: Name n/a size: 7.8GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 24G used: 5.4G (24%) fs: ext4 
RAID:      No RAID devices detected - /proc/mdstat and md_mod kernel raid module present
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 42.0C mobo: N/A gpu: 43.0 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: N/A 
Info:      Processes: 166 Uptime: 3 min Memory: 667.3/16032.2MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 

EDIT: The CPU is actually a quad-core by the way, but my BIOS parks two of my cores and they get unparked when they are really needed (Like, when rendering videos for example)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
eanfrid

Re: How to make everything a bit faster

Post by eanfrid »

You can start by updating your kernel to the current 3.5.0-23 to squash bugs and security issues :) BTW, the Intel i3 are dual-cores with hyperthreading not quad-cores ;)
sofasufi

Post by sofasufi »

Hi there.

Correct me if I am wrong but as far as I can tell from your post, you are using a standard hard drive. If so, I would strongly encourage you to first invest in a solid state drive - I put one into my ThinkPad recently & it now feels like a new machine. After that, if you find you are maxing out your RAM on tasks & using swap, bump up your RAM as much as your system allows/you can afford. Also, check your start-up programmes & deselect any that are not necessary. Finally, consider moving to a lighter desktop as well.

I hope some of this helps.

Cheers,

SofaSufi.
nomko

Post by nomko »

There's not much to gain but what you can do is take a good look at your start-up applications. Uncheck every applications you don't need. Doing so makes your machine boot a bit faster although it is negligible.

Maybe this can help you:
http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/06/11-tips ... nning.html
http://www.upubuntu.com/2011/04/how-to- ... e-and.html

Else there are some tricks to speed up the speed of your browser/internet. Which browser are you using?
eanfrid

Post by eanfrid »

Since you already have 16GB of RAM, if you are not talking only about software optimizations, a SSD+HDD hardware setup is the best combination you can make for speed and reliability. You can also mount your /tmp in RAM (it will be the standard setup on Debian-based distribs) as tipped above. After that there are many file-system tweaks which can speed-up SSD/HDD read/write operations, mainly the "noatime" and "data=writeback" (for non-system partitions) mount options which will yield the most obvious benefits.

Return to “Beginner Questions”