Logging in with a mouse click

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Logging in with a mouse click

Postby jackhammer on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:11 am

Hello community, I have another noob question:
Is there any way to create login procedure without typing in anything at all?

Like when you click a user icon at startup, and then system logs you in automatically. I know about autologon procedure, when single user logs in automatically, but I need the user list to be shown.

I saw threads about creating empty passwords, but that didn't works with my case, because even if the password is empty, you still need to press Enter in a password field to login.
jackhammer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Logging in with a mouse click

Postby viking777 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:46 am

Nope, can't be done, at least not with the default login manager mdm. You could try changing login managers if it bothers you. Gdm or lightdm are favourites, there is a post here telling you how to do it:

viewtopic.php?f=47&t=102939#p584624
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby jackhammer on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:13 am

Ok, so I have installed lightdm, but now I can't login, it just doesn't accepts my passwords. Is there any way to revert changes? Can I somehow call a terminal before this broken login screen and swith it off?
jackhammer
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nerdtron on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:38 am

jackhammer wrote:Ok, so I have installed lightdm, but now I can't login, it just doesn't accepts my passwords. Is there any way to revert changes? Can I somehow call a terminal before this broken login screen and swith it off?

If you are able to be go as far as the login screen can you try pressing Ctrl+Alt+F2 and you should be able to so a manual login.
If so, login using your username and password. Then type the command
Code: Select all
startx

if you are using cinnamon or the command
startxfce4

if you are using xfce4
Then open a terminal window and type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Your may replace gdm with kdm, mdm, or lightdm.
Select the display manager you want to use by default and hit enter. Then, restart your computer.

If the above procedures doesn't work out.Try this.
Boot into recovery mode (during the GRUB screen, choose Linux Mint recovery).
Wait for it to load, then choose the option enable networking. This will make the file system read/write mode.
Then choose "root" so that you will have a root prompt.
Then type the command
startx

if you are using cinnamon or the command
startxfce4

if you are using xfce4
Then open a terminal window and type:
sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm

Your may replace gdm with kdm, mdm, or lightdm.
Select the display manager you want to use by default and hit enter. Then, restart your computer.

I not quite sure if any of the methods will work for you as i haven't tested them but try them, this commands won't hurt.
Keep us posted on your progress.
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
nerdtron
Level 4
Level 4

Postby jackhammer on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:15 am

Thank you nerdtron, your advice worked well. But unfortunately switching to lightdm and back to mdm didn't went well for my system. After successful login, system tells me something about scripts, and then shows message "Cannot start session "Ubuntu"". It seems like I'll have to reinstall anyway. There were no any important data, so it won't be a trouble.
jackhammer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions