[Solved] Can not load a ramdisk with an old kernel image

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] Can not load a ramdisk with an old kernel image

Postby douglbe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:04 am

Yesterday I downloaded the Linux Mint 14 ISO with Mate and burned it to a DVD. I ran Linux Mint from the DVD with no problems. Today when I booted to the Linux Mint DVD I get this error message "can not load a ramdisk with an old kernel image". Is my bootable disk no longer good? Anything I can do to boot from this disk?
Last edited by douglbe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
douglbe
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can not load a ramdisk with an old kernel image

Postby viking777 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:30 pm

Past reports of this error message have sometimes been linked to lack of memory or failing memory in the host computer. Is this an old machine? How much memory does it have? Have you tested the memory with something like memtest recently? It is unlikely that a dvd will fail after one day, although reburning it is probably a cheaper option than replacing failing memory. Of course, if your memory chips are failing (and that is by no means certain) then you would have to replace them eventually anyway .
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: <Solved> Can not load a ramdisk with an old kernel image

Postby douglbe on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:23 pm

I ran memtest86 and the memory is ok. I tried the disk after running the memory test and I did not get the error, but Mint would not load, it hung up. This machine is an Acer Aspire laptop, Intel I3, 4GB ram, and running Windows 7 64 bit. The laptop is 4 years old. The boot disk is OK, I tried it on my desktop and it has loaded. Tried the laptop again and no go. I plugged in a portable USB DVD drive and booted from that and Mint loaded with no problems. Looks like my issue is with the internal DVD drive. Thanks for your help Viking 777, it made me to keep troubleshooting. I am probably going to install on my laptop as a dual boot system and give it a try. Thanks again.
douglbe
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions