Installed Mint 14, but got old menu?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Installed Mint 14, but got old menu?

Postby dmroberts on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:29 am

Hello everyone. This is my first post here. Brief backstory:

I'm thoroughly enjoying Mint! I'm a network security administrator and I really got tired of using putty connection manager, so I decided to install Mint and it was a great decision. I use nothing BUT Mint at work now :D

Then I installed it on a virtualbox at home to mess around with it some more and I'm still sold. It's great. Finally, I partitioned my machine and boot up into Mint all the time now :D

Now, I have a noob question about the "start" menu. I'm pretty sure I have Maya Cinnamon at work and it has the black menu:

http://distrowatch.com/images/screensho ... n-menu.png

On my virtual box, I installed Mint 14 MATE and it has this really pretty menu:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-u8UfCsk18Ic/U ... 4-mate.png

Finally, on my dedicated Mint partition, I installed Mint 14 Cinnamon and I have essentially the same menu as 13 Cinnamon :/

Is there a way I can keep Cinnamon 14 on and get the nice MATE menu?

Also, if someone can link me to the differences between Cinnamon and MATE I'd appreciate it. They seem like the same thing to me but, then again, I'm a Linux noob.
dmroberts
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installed Mint 14, but got old menu?

Postby viking777 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:07 pm

The main difference between the two is the menu as you have already found out. There are others like 'hot corner' overview on Cinnamon, but the menu is the main one. I think it is pretty well impossible to superimpose one menu onto another version. Why bother anyway? If, as you seem to think, they are very similar then choose the menu you prefer by choosing the version with that menu on it.

BTW. The first of those images you posted gives a 'Forbidden' permissions error.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Re: Installed Mint 14, but got old menu?

Postby TheDynamicHamza21 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:47 pm

I think you're referring to the Cardapio based Cinnamon menu vs the Mintmenu. I believe this may work for Mintmenu on cinnamon:

for Cinnamon you would right-click on an empty space in the panel, select "Add applets to the panel", and find the option called "Cinnamon Menu" and select it!
viewtopic.php?f=208&t=125261&p=687045&hilit=mintmenu+cinnamon#p687045
Linux Registered User: # 573034

www.domeshotsandfatlaces.com
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions