Always a Newbie

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Always a Newbie

Post by jimisbell »

I will always be a newbie because I can never get this system running long enough to learn it.

I just tried downloading a .sh file that is supposed to install a program I want to use. BUT if I search for the downloaded file it tells me it is at home/ jim/downloads but when I go to home/jim/downloads it isnt there!!

Where is it putting downloaded files and why doesnt it ask where I want them to be put?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Always a Newbie

Post by kyphi »

Where downloaded files go to is determined by Firefox which puts them into a folder called "Downloads" by default (please note the capital D in the file name, Linux commands are case sensitive). If you want to change that, open Firefox, go to Edit, Preferences, General and change the "Save files to" field.
The correct syntax for you to go to the Downloads folder would be "/home/jim/Downloads" - that is assuming that you spell your name as "jim" rather than "Jim".
To run a .sh file, the command is "sh filename.sh
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Post by TheDynamicHamza21 »

Also sh.files are hidden press ctrl h to view them or using the file manager view> show hidden files
Linux Registered User: # 573034

Hamza21.com
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:Also sh.files are hidden press ctrl h to view them or using the file manager view> show hidden files
Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

TehGhodTrole wrote:
TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:Also sh.files are hidden press ctrl h to view them or using the file manager view> show hidden files
Rubbish.

I only have one .sh file in my home folder it's hidden.

EDIT: I didn't notice until now it my file starts with "." My mistake.

Hamza21.com
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

kyphi wrote:Where downloaded files go to is determined by Firefox which puts them into a folder called "Downloads" by default
Seriously? Firefox, the browser, actually determines the operating parameters of the operating system???? Really????
Democracy is two wolves and a sheep discussing what's for dinner. Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the decision.
jimisbell
Level 3
Level 3

Post by jimisbell »

kyphi wrote:Where downloaded files go to is determined by Firefox which puts them into a folder called "Downloads" by default (please note the capital D in the file name, Linux commands are case sensitive). If you want to change that, open Firefox, go to Edit, Preferences, General and change the "Save files to" field.
The correct syntax for you to go to the Downloads folder would be "/home/jim/Downloads" - that is assuming that you spell your name as "jim" rather than "Jim".
To run a .sh file, the command is "sh filename.sh
yes it is jim in the computer, no cap

I changed it in Firefox to ask me where it goes.

But now, How do you run a file using sh <filename>.sh unless you are in terminal? If I go into terminal and try the command sh /jim/Downloads/thinkorswim_other_installer.sh I just get the message that it could not open /jim/Downloads/thinkorswim_other_installer.sh Maybe I mispelled something or was that not what you were suggesting?

I just checked the spelling, its fine. Here is the message I get:

jim@jim-N105 ~ $ sh /jim/Downloads/thinkorswim_other_installer.sh
sh: Can't open /jim/Downloads/thinkorswim_other_installer.sh
jim@jim-N105 ~ $
TheDynamicHamza21
Level 5
Level 5

Maybe you need change permissions right click the file,choose properties>Permissions ensure you are the owner and can read and write and make sure the box allow file as executing program is checked. Then all you have do click the file it will run.

Read step 4:
http://tradingwithlinux.blogspot.com/p/ ... buntu.html

Hamza21.com
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

TheDynamicHamza21 wrote:Maybe you need change permissions right click the file,choose properties>Permissions ensure you are the owner
<facepalm>
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
kyphi
Level 9
Level 9

Post by kyphi »

Open a terminal and copy and paste the following line:

Code: Select all

cd ~/Downloads
That will change directory to the location of your downloaded file. The "~" is a shortened form of "/home/jim". Then, still in the terminal copy and paste:

Code: Select all

sh thinkorswim_other_installer.sh
If that does not produce the desired result, repeat the command with "sudo".
Linux Mint 21.3 Cinnamon
Webtest
Level 4
Level 4

Post by Webtest »

A hiccup for Newbies ... you can NOT change the permissions on files in DOS formatted partitions (FAT 16 or 32). It isn't supported. If you want to mark a file as executable you have to store it on an ext formatted partition (generally ext2 or ext3). It took me a LONG time to figure that one out.

Blessings in abundance, all the best, & ENJOY!
Art in Carlisle, PA USA
BOAT - a hole in the water that you pour money into
LINUX - a hole in your life that you pour TIME into

HP dx2400 Core 2 Duo 8 GB. Mint 13/15/17.x/18.x Mate <on LOCKED SD cards, and Kanguru USB drives> No Hard Drive / No SSD

Return to “Beginner Questions”