Could not update ICEauthority

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jhehe

Could not update ICEauthority

Post by jhehe »

Hi,

This is my first time using Linux Mint. I've heard that it is one of the best built, and you know me, only go for the best :D. As of right now, I'm trying to boot Linux Mint on my net book as my already installed Windows 7 Ultimate isn't really "ultimate" and really slows down my system. After all, net books are just for basic web browsing and nothing else so decided to try out Linux Mint.

I downloaded unetbootin and created a bootable flash drive. Then I restarted my computer and selected the boot from flash drive option. This failed as I got a blank screen with a white dash at the top left. Over at the Pinguy forum, I learned that this is a graphics problem. However, I ended up not using Pinguy because there is no install from Windows option and Linux Mint does. I looked in my flash drive and saw an application for installing LM through Windows. Note, I am using a bootable flash drive, extracted everything to the flash drive using unetbootin.

After that, I followed the on screen instructions to installing LM and then rebooting to the LM desktop. On here, I found an icon stating "Install Linux Mint". The icon had a picture of a disk so I double clicked it and followed the on screen instructions to install. After it was done, the system rebooted, I selected Linux Mint from the bios and landed at the login page. I entered in my username and then password, then received this error message:

Code: Select all

Could not update ICEauthority file /home/james/.ICEauthority
I did a little searching and found this post: http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 58#p688258

It tells me to type this code:

sudo chown username:groupname /home
however, one problem is that i don't know my group name so how do I find this out? Also, is there any other ways I can solve this? I'm not much of a coder so please bare with me as this is my first time using Linux Mint.

Thanks
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
cecar

Re: Could not update ICEauthority

Post by cecar »

Your groupname is the same as your username.
jhehe

Post by jhehe »

cecar wrote:Your groupname is the same as your username.
ok, in this case, i tried the code seen in the other link/ other forum post regarding the same issue, but unfortunately it does not work. after following the instructions, i still can't login.
cecar

Post by cecar »

That command only changes the owner of home and not /home/james. The home directory should be owned by root and /home/james should be owned by you.

If i check my permissions of /home it looks like this.

ls -l /home
totalt 20
drwxr-xr-x 62 cecar cecar  4096 16.02.2013 15:48 cecar/
drwx------  2 root  root  16384 26.11.2012 10:49 lost+found/
Pemissions of .ICEauthority

cecar@mint13 ~ $ ls -l .ICEauthority 
-rw------- 1 cecar cecar 31232 16.02.2013 03:05 .ICEauthority

What is the output of:

ls -l /home
and

ls -l /home/james/.ICEauthority
jhehe

Post by jhehe »

Actually I re-installed Linux Mint but this time didn't check off the "encrypt home folder" option and login works so i would think there is something with the encrypt home folder. i'm just a newbie so this encrypt home folder probably isn't necessary.

however, by following your code,i got :

james

/home/james/.ICEauthority

when i entered them in the terminal.

btw, linuxmint is working fine for me, but would like to clean install it. only problem is my netbook doesn't have a disk drive and usb boot doesn't seem to work.

using unetbootin and attempting to boot from my Transcend Jetflash 700 16GB USB3.0 doesn't work. All I get is a blank screen with a flashing white dash on the top left corner..any suggestions?
simpleITguy

Post by simpleITguy »

Found this on another forum. My specific problem came from wanting to enable Autologin but I had enabled /home/user directory encryption when I did the initial install in Linux Mint 14 Cinnamon.
Copy your files out of your home directory to another (unencrypted) location.
Move or remove the encrypted home directory out of the way.
Restore your files.

In short:

Move the encrypted home directory so it mounts not on the home directory, but on a directory called Private in your home directory.
Move everything out of the ~/Private directory into ~.
Remove ecryptfs if desired.

I would recommend logging out and back in just after the move: this makes sure everything is updated in your environment and so on.
I did this using an SSH session logged in as root. Then I also had to do the following (as root - so sudo was not needed). In my case, the username and usergroup were the same.
chown -R username:usergroup /home/username
chmod 700 /home/username
jhehe

Post by jhehe »

just out of curiosity, would it be easier to actually have a separate data partition and encrypt that? while documents are originally stored on /home, isn't it possible to have them relocated? if yes, is fstab line used?

Return to “Beginner Questions”