Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

Postby Ethan Holloway on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:11 pm

This is probably a dumb question but I'm very OCD and I'm wondering if wiping my entire hard drive with a program like DBAN would speed up a future operating system. I feel like it would but I've heard some people say that Linux takes care of the wiping when you install it, and even though it says it does, I'm wondering why a program like DBAN takes so long to use but installing Linux is fairly quick. I'm thinking that DBAN does a better job at erasing data thus making your computer run faster. My question is, would it make any difference if I used DBAN or some program like that before installing Linux? I don't care about perserving any files as I have an external hard drive. Thank you very much.
Ethan Holloway

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Should I use DBAN before installing Linux?

Postby catweazel on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:24 pm

Ethan Holloway wrote:My question is, would it make any difference if I used DBAN or some program like that before installing Linux?

Only to the time you spend wiping the disk. The drive will not be sped up by wiping it. The difference is that a full format starts at the blunt end of the drive and works it way to the pointy end, formatting every sector as it goes. This is a waste of time so now most formatting routines just put a special list at the start of the drive, and few flags in between.

So, the stuff you've been told is all wrong, and there is no advantage in wiping the drive, unless perhaps you have stuff on there that you're ashamed of and don't want the your local police constabulary to find.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby Orbmiser on Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:25 pm

"I'm wondering if wiping my entire hard drive with a program like DBAN would speed up a future operating system."

No as it doesn't do anything to the hardware to speed up the disk. All DBAN does is wipe bits off so they are unrecoverable by recovering deleted files and folders. Linux or Windows Clean intall plus formatting does the same when creating new partitions and formating the drive which is only software writing to the disk and actually doesn't do anything to the drive itself except making code entries onto the platters.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby usbtux on Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:25 am

TehGhodTrole wrote:...and there is no advantage in wiping the drive, unless perhaps you have stuff on there that you're ashamed of and don't want the your local police constabulary to find.

:D :D :D
http://goo.gl/DXKgM LinuxMint tutorials.
Running LinuxMint 17 Cinnamon/KDE/XFCE
http://goo.gl/WFu0u Installing Mint - the screen cast videos.
linuxcounter #368850
usbtux
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions