Mint and USB compatibility

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Mint and USB compatibility

Postby evereti on Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:08 am

Hi

Feel like an idiot asking this question but here goes. :oops:

I am a long time Windows user and pretty tech savvy but I am very new to Linux. I have played around with Mint/Cinnamon on a LiveCD and would like to instal it on a more permanent basis, ie an external USB Hard Drive.

I have a spare 80gb 2.5" sata drive and am looking at EvilBay for external enclosures to put it in. They pretty well all say compatible with all windows editions, some even say MacOS, but none say Linux or any other Unix.

Q. Is this just laziness on the part of the vendor or is there some compatibility with Linux and Mint that a Linux Newbie like me is unaware???

Or does Linux recognise any Sata external drive just like Windoze.

evereti
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Mint and USB compatibility

Postby eanfrid on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 am

evereti wrote:Q. Is this just laziness on the part of the vendor
Yes. They don't even know that Linux exists at all sometimes.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Mint and USB compatibility

Postby lightelf on Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:52 pm

I have used several HD enclosures with Mint and they all looked like a mass storage device and funnctioned quite normally from the file manager. You might want to read about using FAT versus ext3 or 4 (Linux)if you are setting up / formatting a drive. I found a Vantech 2.5 enclosure on Amazon for seven bucks and it works great, easy to assemble....though the first one I had to send back because it had solder flux & globs on the connector board! Good luck.
lightelf
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions