<SOLVED>Can't access back up of Quicken files.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

<SOLVED>Can't access back up of Quicken files.

Postby beetlebomb on Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:43 pm

I have Mint 13 on a USB flash drive and have a problem that I've not been able to solve.
I installed wine so I can run Windows apps and loaded Quicken.
The program works fine and the only problem I have is storing the Qdata files somewhere other than (or in addition to) the flash drive.

When I set up Mint 13 I remember something about hiding the files, and I think I chose to do that. Now I can't copy them to another device. In fact I get: Can't find "/cow" error message when I try to access them via the file browser.

The only way I know to solve this is to set up another live USB drive, load the back up I made in Sept 2012 and re-enter the transactions. Please tell me it ain't so! Even if I take this approach, what's to prevent me from duplicating the problem on the new drive? I know there is an Export feature in Quicken but I can't access the files to export them.

All attempts to help will be greatly appreciated and I will seriously consider any advice toward a remedy.

Beetlebomb.
Last edited by beetlebomb on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
beetlebomb
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

SOLVED Re: Can't access back up of Quicken files.

Postby beetlebomb on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:13 pm

I solved this by burning a MAYA disk, ran it live, mounted the flash drive as administrator (root) and by poking and prodding wherever I thought the files might be.
Long story short - found the backed up files, copied them to archive.
beetlebomb
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions