Lean and mean

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Lean and mean

Postby jackmason on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:50 pm

I installed a vanilla Mint 14 Cinnamon system with Firebird and a ntfs shared drive. The intent is to use the system as a Firebird server. Therefore, there are probably quite a few things installed that are not needed and possibly slow down the system. Could someone provide a list of the most obvious things to remove and how to do so?

Thanks
jackmason
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lean and mean

Postby lmarmisa on Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 am

Consider to use a Linux distro of type server edition. I recommend Ubuntu Server 12.04 LTS:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/server
lmarmisa
Level 2
Level 2

Postby jackmason on Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:47 pm

Thanks for your suggestion.

We started off that way, but Ubuntu was so easy to crash (12.04) and had so many bugs, we backed off and went to Mint. Mint is much more user-friendly for the non-technical ones who must reboot it occasionally and those of use normally using Windows 7 that must come back to make some change that Ubuntu was a non-starter. When you can crash it using Firefox and a couple of other trivial ways and cannot even rely on begin able to shut it down from the GUI, what else is lurking below?

So far, running Mint for far longer than we did Ubuntu, we have encountered only very slow file transfers when you are on Mint and pull files over. When you are on Windows and push files over, you get decent speeds. Perhaps someone will be able to tell us what is causing that soon.

Thanks again,

Jack
jackmason
Level 2
Level 2

Postby bigj231 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I find debian stable is best for a server, but it takes time to setup.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Postby jackmason on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for your suggestion. At this point, we are pretty happy with Mint. I just thought there might be some services we could kill that we did not need. Our system is quite fast because we have SSDs running on an I3 with 8GB. However, if there are processes we can eliminate, that will make our system more stable.

Jack
jackmason
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions