Is it best to install win8 or mint first in a dual boot sys?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Is it best to install win8 or mint first in a dual boot sys?

Postby nfenton on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:32 am

What do you guys think? Or does it not matter.

I have two ssds one will have one OS each.
nfenton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is it best to install win8 or mint first in a dual boot

Postby passerby on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:38 am

Better to not install Win 8 at all *cough*
Install Win 8 first, then mint; mint will pick up on the Win 8 installation and add it to your bootloader, but Windows might not do the same for mint.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 13.10 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby MtnDewManiac on Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:01 am

I am not positive, but I think that when you install a Microsoft OS, it "helpfully" wipes out any other OS that if finds on the hard drive. Or at least the MBR (so you would no longer see linux even if it was still there).

I have always been told to install Microsoft first, then fix your computer afterwards (lol).

BtW, I know that when Microsoft Windows 8 comes preinstalled on a computer, UEFI boot is enabled (I know, I had to deal with it recently when installing linux on an old friend's very first computer). Is that the case when a person installs that OS, as well, or only when the OEM does it?

-MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user. Running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce (with Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs). I have the best modern OS and it runs on my really old hardware, lol.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 4
Level 4

Postby cwsnyder on Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:29 am

The problem isn't UEFI, it is the Secure Boot portion. If you have UEFI in your computer firmware, it simply replaces BIOS firmware. Secure Boot, which is automatically enabled by Win8, says you can't change the operating system with un-signed software.

The best way to avoid problems would be to keep the <contaminated> Windows 8 drive not connected to the system when booting Linux. :lol:
LMDE Mate 64-bit, LM16 Mate 64-bit
Debian Xfce 64-bit, Xubuntu 13.10 64-bit, Xubuntu Trusty Tahr 64-bit, Antergos Xfce 64-bit, PCLinuxOS LXDE 64-bit
cwsnyder
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions