Graphics drivers help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
diddly3000

Graphics drivers help

Post by diddly3000 »

Hi, noob here. Installed mint 14 cinnamon yesterday and everything going nicely.
Just a question about gfx drivers. I installed the driver from software resources but I'm given an option of 4 choices which I haven't a clue what they are?
It's something about proprietary drivers and I choose one of the options.

What I'd like to know is what are these? And which is usually best to choose.and how can I check if my driver is indeed working good and I don't need to take further action.

Sent from my GT-i9100 using Tapatalk 2
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
jungle_boy
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Graphics drivers help

Post by jungle_boy »

Open source drivers usually work better than proprietary drivers; to find out if your video card is running and rendering well, open the terminal and type:

Code: Select all

inxi -Gx
Samsung Odyssey, Octa-core, i5 9300H, Geforce GTX 1650, 16GB RAM, SSD SAMSUNG NVMe 500GB
LM 21 Cinnamon
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Post by catweazel »

jungle_boy wrote:Open source drivers usually work better than proprietary drivers
<facepalm>

Rubbish.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
diddly3000

Post by diddly3000 »

Haha I feel a fight coming on here :-P I will try that terminal command and see what happens. Thanks

What is difference between open source and proprietary?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
EmpireITtech

Post by EmpireITtech »

TehGhodTrole likes to just say "facepalm" yet offer no explaination lol, don't let it get to you :mrgreen:

As for the graphics drivers, what kind of card is it? nVidia? > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/176
And you can post the response for the inxi -Gx here in the forum =]
diddly3000

Re: Re: Graphics drivers help

Post by diddly3000 »

EmpireITtech wrote:TehGhodTrole likes to just say "facepalm" yet offer no explaination lol, don't let it get to you :mrgreen:

As for the graphics drivers, what kind of card is it? nVidia? > http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/176
And you can post the response for the inxi -Gx here in the forum =]
It's a nvidea Asus gtx460 should have said that earlier.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
diddly3000

Post by diddly3000 »

here is the result from the command guys

Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF104 [GeForce GTX 460] bus-ID: 01:00.0
X.Org: 1.13.0 drivers: (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) FAILED: nvidia Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 460/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.51 Direct Rendering: Yes

Return to “Beginner Questions”