X server won't start

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

X server won't start

Postby pmerrill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:48 pm

I've been running Linux Mint 14 for a while now, I just did an update lastnight that rolled out some mesa update to my system and now X server won't start. x.log seems to indicate that the nvidia driver which I had loaded can't be found. Any ideas how to fix this? Anyone else experiencing this problem? :(
pmerrill
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: X server won't start

Postby Ponny on Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:23 pm

I had the similar problem in Fedora few years ago. I upgraded packages then in steps by alphabet. And restart after every step. And then X server wont start.

Then I start Linux in text mode. (not sure, if this is right name for this.) And continue to upgrade packages in text/console mode. System is recovered.

Maybe is this solution also in Mint.

Ponny
Indigo Pony? Alas, what you go through these days!
Ponny
Level 2
Level 2

Postby pmerrill on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:14 pm

Yeah, I tried that. When the system came up with Login: I logged into shell and then did apt-get update and apt-get upgrade. Some installs were done but no luck, still would not boot the X server. For some reason the mesa update broke the nvidia driver. Perhaps I can just uninstall nvidia with some apt-get command?
pmerrill
Level 1
Level 1

Postby BoscoBearbank on Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:43 pm

Haven't used the nvidia driver recently, as nouveau seems to do all I need, but when I was using it (this was on Fedora), the nvidia packages would overwrite some of the mesa files with their own versions of those files. A reinstall of the nvidia packages would clear up the problem. HTH
BoscoBearbank
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions