Getting the DVD player to work

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Getting the DVD player to work

Postby philross on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

hi there,
I have installed Linux Mint (latest version) and I am very happy with it - however I cant seem to get the DVD player to play DVD films. When I try movie player and VLC absolutely nothing happens.
Any ideas ? many thanks
Phil Ross
philross
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting the DVD player to work

Postby mgold1 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:56 pm

Have you installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras from the Software Center? That package needs to be installed.
mgold1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby homerscousin on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:16 pm

I think I have seen this sort of question before. I have installed 3 Mint distros. My dvd drive worked in all. All video formats play. I really don't remember, but maybe there is an option during the O.S. install procedure to allow proprietary drivers and codecs to install, which I did. If someone didn't do this during install then they have to do it later? Is this correct?
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.
homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby minty33 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:40 am

i have possibly the same issue.
IT'S NOT A CODEC ISSUE.
the issue is when you put a dvd in it is not mounted automatically. when it is mounted it does not auto play in any particular program. i am able to manually mount and attempt to play with VLC player but the issue is then it only recognizes the one title screen sequence and never goes to the actual episodes and they are not in list and hitting next just replays title sequence. It is a dvd for a series called "band of brothers".
We all pay for life with death so everything in between should be free. - Bill Hicks
minty33
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions