Dell Latitude D410 installation woes

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
MrD

Dell Latitude D410 installation woes

Post by MrD »

I have a secondary laptop I am using for work purposes and I am unable to install LM14 (32bit Mate) or latest Ubuntu on it. Both result in a black screen when booting off the USB flash drive. LM14 offers a "compatibility mode" which allows installation, however when installed booting to desktop results in a black screen.

I've been googling but people seem to have been successful in installation and the main conversations surround the broadcom wifi card.

Is there something I am missing with regard to compatibility installation so I can at least play games with the wifi card? I can put XP SP3 back on the laptop but I'd much rather be using Mint, particularly since my work system is infested with viruses and a bit'quirky' to say the least (yes, I'm in the stix here)
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MrD

Re: Dell Latitude D410 installation woes

Post by MrD »

A bug someone has posted up for Ubuntu recently has come up with a solution. It appears the newest Ubuntu covers the laptop again:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1093282

Was this the CPU or GPU then? and will this pass to LM15 meaning I can start using the D410?

Return to “Beginner Questions”