First time using Linux and it is incredibly sluggish?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

First time using Linux and it is incredibly sluggish?

Postby dividedsky1 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:47 pm

Hello out there, I am a long-time Windows user and did a dual install to see if Linux was right for me. I downloaded Mint 14 Cinnamon, partitioned my hard drive, and installed it on a separate partition from Windows. I gave Windows 90GB, Linux got 31.5 GB, and I made a Storage Drive with 170GB. When I installed, it got an error when importing settings from Windows and then restarted. Linux booted up and everything works fine except that applications are incredibly slow to open. For instance, Firefox takes 20-30 seconds to open. I thought Linux was supposed to be lightning fast which is why I want to give up Windows. Here are my computer specs:

HP HDX 16 Premium
3GB RAM
2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
NVidia Graphics Card (not sure what kind)

Any help is much appreciated!
dividedsky1
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: First time using Linux and it is incredibly sluggish?

Postby DrHu on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

dividedsky1 wrote: I thought Linux was supposed to be lightning fast which is why I want to give up Windows. Here are my computer specs:

I doubt any Linux distributor claims their OS release is lightening fast: even browser developers try not to claim that as everyone has pretty much the same access to the tools and languages available for individual or group (commercial or OSS development)
--in general the fastest OSs' are text based ones such as DOS (single user, complete control of the system: hardware and software); but of course few users will want to go that route and give up the glitzy screens/desktops they have become used to..
--even in simple applications such as POS (point of sale), they have also gone GUI mode, it doesn't speed up anything..

The best answers, I can offer are..
And I hope you picked a 32bit Linux OS as the version to use..
    You would have to explain your specific issues, not just a general hypotheses/complaint such as my system is s-l-o-w..
I assume this is a type of WUBI (mint4win) installation despite your separate partitions for Windows OS + Linux OS
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_(Ubuntu_installer)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Mint
--that is not the same as a muli-boot(dual-boot) installation that will load via grub or windows bootloader
    And that type of installation, running as a file from the windows OS would slow down the responsiveness of the Linux OS..
If you wished to edit that.. (windows OS on the 1st drive, 1st partition C:\, windows on any other primary partition or logical (although that complicates the partition scheme)
I didn't know that Mint had the migration-assistant option, but it is not that useful, since you don't know exactly what it is doing..
http://askubuntu.com/questions/72461/di ... ng-install
https://bugs.launchpad.net/wubi/+bug/222690

Firefox is always slow to start, even on a windows or Apple OS
--and can be slow to render a web page
    I use Opera, quite fast and very customizable..
    --google's chromium (oss version) or chrome if you must is also an option
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby catweazel on Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:31 pm

DrHu wrote:Firefox is always slow to start

You're not wrong. I run RAID0 SSDs pumping 1.5GB/s and FF still can't get out of bed early.

I use Opera, quite fast and very customizable.

Thanks for the tip, Doc. appreciated.

google's chromium (oss version) or chrome if you must is also an option

Pffft.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby dividedsky1 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:06 am

So I didn't follow you and ended up installing Mint 13 XFCE and even tried Google Chrome. Everything was still slow - for example it took 30 seconds to open the folder to view my hard drive. I read about installing a video card driver and after I did that everything is very fast. Less than a second to open my hard drive folder, 3 seconds to open firefox, etc. If anyone else has a problem with Linux acting really slowly right after install, check your drivers to make sure everything is supported, especially your video card. May seem obvious to advanced users but not to me....
dividedsky1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DrHu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:04 pm

That's because most windows OS users will assume that Microsoft supported drivers (included) or downloaded with the OS as an update will be the best driver available
--but these are all third party drivers, even when under Microsoft OS license

So the best available for a graphics or printer or other device won't always be with the OS, but will be available on a vendor search or that vendor's web site..
DrHu
Level 16
Level 16

Postby homerscousin on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:39 pm

I hope you have this fixed. For now, anyway. Linux will take a bit more learning than Windows. The answers aren't always as apparent. So many fewer Linux users than Windows users. Linux can be absolutely wonderful when you get over the 'what the heck is going on' stage.
i5 3570k, ASRock z77 Extreme 4, 8 Gb Ripjaws 1600, Antec 430w psu, HVR 1600 tv tuner, custom case- marble top, oak face. Carver & DCM Time Window sound system. Mint 14 KDE.
homerscousin
Level 5
Level 5

Postby lowbudgetlaptops on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:24 pm

try installing preload in synaptic
lowbudgetlaptops
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions