[SOLVED] How to enable login without a password

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[SOLVED] How to enable login without a password

Postby mpm711 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:43 pm

I just installed the Nadia xfce 32 bit version and created 3 accounts. I want to allow some of the other accounts to login without a password. When I created the accounts I checked the box for "Don't ask for password on login". However, whenever they login it still requires a password. Is there something else that I need to configure?

After some extensive searching on Google I found the answer here:

http://community.linuxmint.com/idea/view/3295

I manually edited the file "mdm" found in /etc/pam.d to include the following line:

auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin

After that the users could login without a password.
Last edited by mpm711 on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mpm711
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to enable login without a password

Postby Hooper on Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:05 pm

Ditto that question mpm!
I have LM Nadia Mate 32 installed and acting the same way with regards to p/w on login...
Dell Optiplex GX260 Desktop
2.4 GHz P4 CPU
1.0 GB RAM (2/512 MB cards @ 266 MHz)
(2) 80 GB IDE HDD (1-Mint, 1-XP PRO)
Intel 82845G Video adpt.
Dell 22" LCD Monitor
HP Deskjet 932c Printer.......................................Yeah, I'm a dinosaur ;)
Hooper
Level 1
Level 1

Re: [SOLVED] How to enable login without a password

Postby clem on Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:57 am

Hi,

I'm working on this right now.

- MDM's PAM policy (in /etc/pam.d/mdm) was fixed a while ago to include "auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin"
- As of version 1.4.8, MDM's postinst was still missing the creation of the nopasswdlogin group though. So in Mint 16 for instance, by default there is no group called "nopasswdlogin". You can verify this with "getent group nopasswdlogin". If it returns nothing, you can create the group with "sudo addgroup --system nopasswdlogin".
- I'm not sure about KDE, MATE and Xfce.. I need to test more, but in Cinnamon 2.0, the "Users and Groups" tool doesn't automatically add newly created users to the "nopasswdlogin" group, so you need to click on the groups for the user and add that group yourself. Not setting a password isn't enough.

I'd expect all of this to work out of the box in time for Mint 17, but I thought I'd post my findings here in case people are looking for workarounds.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:01 am

There's also an issue with MDM's user pre-selection in MDM 1.4+.

If the user preselection is enabled in the settings... MDM selects the user who last logged in.. but if that user is part of nopasswdlogin then that results in MDM being skipped automatically and you basically get an autologin. Until that gets fixed, if you add users to the nopasswdlogin group, please make sure to disable "Automatically select the last logged in user" in MDM's preferences.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby clem on Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:52 pm

This was fixed today in MDM (git master).

Support for passwordless accounts will be implemented also in cinnamon-settings-users.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby karlen on Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:04 pm

I was just wondering about that the other day, and so decided to give it a shot after reading these posts. (I'm running 16 XFCE. 32-bit. 3.11.0-15-generic.)

After creating nopasswdlogin with "sudo addgroup --system nopasswdlogin" (see msgs above), I still had no U&G option in settings, so installed 'gnome-tools'. I soon had a U&G option, and there was the nopasswdlogin group. (Didn't show up in the settings editor, but does in Apps>System.) Generously added myself to the group and rebooted straight into the desktop.
karlen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby jarjarpips on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:31 am

Thanks for the workaround for Mint 16. My 4-yr old will be very happy!
jarjarpips
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ublungu on Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:18 pm

Could you please post a more intelligible explanation for beginners. This no autologin issue makes it a pain to use the OS at home. I had uninstalled Windows 7 from it, thinking Linux Mint was somewhat user friendly...not your fault, my mistake. But I guess at least my laptop's "login screen looks really nice" now, as someone you may know said.

clem wrote:Hi,

I'm working on this right now.

- MDM's PAM policy (in /etc/pam.d/mdm) was fixed a while ago to include "auth sufficient pam_succeed_if.so user ingroup nopasswdlogin"
- As of version 1.4.8, MDM's postinst was still missing the creation of the nopasswdlogin group though. So in Mint 16 for instance, by default there is no group called "nopasswdlogin". You can verify this with "getent group nopasswdlogin". If it returns nothing, you can create the group with "sudo addgroup --system nopasswdlogin".
- I'm not sure about KDE, MATE and Xfce.. I need to test more, but in Cinnamon 2.0, the "Users and Groups" tool doesn't automatically add newly created users to the "nopasswdlogin" group, so you need to click on the groups for the user and add that group yourself. Not setting a password isn't enough.

I'd expect all of this to work out of the box in time for Mint 17, but I thought I'd post my findings here in case people are looking for workarounds.
ublungu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions