Trying to set up dual boot with Win 8

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Trying to set up dual boot with Win 8

Postby greggmh123 on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Hello!

I am trying to set up a dual-boot of Win 8 (already installed) and adding Linux Mint on a 250GB SATA drive. Win 8 is on the first 50GB with the rest being bare space. I know the steps, but cannot perform them, due to Mint thinking that the Win 8 drive is hibernated and not shutdown. It most definitely IS "shutdown" and not hibernated. When I click the drive in Computer, it pops up a mount error window with a whole bucnh of text and a "status 14: Windows is hibernated, refused to mount" line in the middle of it. I assume that is the root problem.

The error window gives a long "mount" command line to mount and remove the hiberfile, but that fails with "failed to access mount point /media/mint/big-alphanumeric-string: no such file or directory."

The YouTube videos make it look so easy!

What am I missing?

Gregg
greggmh123
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trying to set up dual boot with Win 8

Postby PadreKing on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:08 pm

Did not say if this was new hardware? If you enabled EUFI boot for the Win* install your doomed. Boot back into windows find the hibernate file and remove it from there. Then go into the bios and disable EUFI boot and save and exit. Make sure Win8 will boot. Shutdown. Make sure you shutdown there are 4 steps to shutting down on Windows 8 otherwise it just hibernates! Now using the boot media for the Linux install, boot to it when you power up by pressing the key that get's you to the select boot drive. Boot and install. You will then have to load Windows 8 to the boot if you must do dual boot. Otherwise save yourself some trouble and do a full install of mint and enjoy computing for a change.
PadreKing
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trying to set up dual boot with Win 8

Postby srs5694 on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:50 pm

Windows 8 has a feature that causes it to use what is essentially hibernation even when you select the "shut down" feature. You should disable this feature on a dual-boot computer. See here for details.

Also, you should be sure that the Mint installer is running in the same boot mode (BIOS/CSM/legacy or EFI/UEFI) as Windows. You can check the Windows boot mode by checking the partition table type: If it's MBR, then Windows is installed in BIOS mode, but if it's GPT, then Windows is installed in EFI mode. If you don't install Linux in the same boot mode that Windows uses, then you'll have to jump through some extra hoops to get them both booting easily. You can tell what boot mode Linux (including an installer) is in by dropping to a shell and looking for a file called /sys/firmware/efi. If it's present, you've booted in EFI mode; if it's absent, you've probably booted in BIOS mode.
srs5694
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions