Password Reset

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
colkdavis

Password Reset

Post by colkdavis »

I recently bought a new laptop running Linux mint 13 XFCE and I was surprised to find out that it was password protected. I have looked at other posts looking for a solution but i have not found anything that is for my edition of linux. Everyone is telling me to type stuff in the root shell but it tells me to "Give root password for maintenance"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
grimdestripador
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Password Reset

Post by grimdestripador »

There are four types of passwords that can prevent you from booting. Harddrive errors (/etc/fstab) also can trigger the Maintance Mode when trying to mount a drive.Root password. This is the system root account, but in LM does not exist, thus you use sudo to act as root, with your user password.

Perhaps you are asked this during a normal boot,and it says stuff about maintance mode and mounting harddrive. In that case use the password you used when creating the first account during inital install. Or sometimes you can 's' for skip. If skipping works, then make sure for fix /etc/fstab.

It looks like you have a BIOS password, in that case get your screw driver.

BIOS password. This usually requires looking for a jumper, or a clock battery to remove from the motherboard.

Hardware Harddrive Lock password. Involves buying a new harddrive because its physically locked from the motherboard. Unlockers exists, but you need special hardware.

GRUB Password. This is a password many redhat and server like distrobutions use to protect the first level of boot from being changed.
PadreKing

Re: Password Reset

Post by PadreKing »

Without further detail. I would suggest you get a LiveDVD once you have booted on the distro, then mount the hard drive of the computer and edit the /etc/password file. Where you will find a standard parameter of X for passworded accounts. delete the X with what? okay, a vi passwords and once you move the cursor under the X, press X. press Shift ZZ to save and exit back to the desktop and shutdown. Remove the LiveDVD when it tells you and let the system power down. Then power it back up. When it boots you can just press enter and the system should boot to desktop. Then find and set your password to one you can remember with user manager or from the terminal window with $ sudo password "username" no quotes just your user name. you will be prompted to enter the new password twice and once that is done, log out and log back in.

Return to “Beginner Questions”