Eee-pc heating up when using xfce (even when idle)!

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Eee-pc heating up when using xfce (even when idle)!

Postby m3ideh on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:59 pm

Ok, I really need help here.

Right now, im using an Asus eee-pc with and intel Atom processor (1.66 ghz dual-core) with about 1 Gig of RAM. It's running Linux Mint 13 Xfce and for the first few days it ran pretty well.

However now, my computer is heating up tramendously. The fans are going crazy and the laptop is hotter than the sun. The power brick feels like it will melt your skin off if you keep your hand on it for about 3 seconds straight and the whole distro itself is playing up. Im also hearing these weird noises coming from the laptop's hardware inside. Ever since i had left it closed for about a couple of minutes, it has been going even crazier than usuall.

My point here is this; every time i had switched to an OS other than Ubuntu, my laptop was raging with heat. It would not stop (especially with something that used XFCE, which is a shame since i really liked it). Xfce for some reason, even though my NETBOOK is supposed to run better and faster and cooler under XFCE which is meant to use LESS resources, has always turned my eee-pc into a lava pit. I always hear about xfce fixing everything when using old hardware but I finally use it and it runs 100x worse than whenever I use Ubuntu 12.10, a full-fledged operating system which had no heat problems whatsoever.

I remember hearing that sometimes the OS doesnt detect a GPU and uses that CPU as a GPU (the eee-pc uses the intel graphics gpu BTW) and that can cause overheating. Is this the case and how do i resolve it.

Sorry for the rant, but i really like xfce.

I'd appreciate anyones attempt to help on this topic,
Thanks again for the time,
- m3ideh
m3ideh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Eee-pc heating up when using xfce (even when idle)!

Postby catweazel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:35 am

m3ideh wrote:sorry for the rant

No need to apologise. I snipped it. However while you were in full flight there you neglected to mention the model number of the Eee PC. It can be used to get the full specs of the machine, including the model of the GPU, thus possibly pointing to a solution.

Post the output of this terminal command:
Code: Select all
inxi -Gx

And don't forget the model number of the Eee PC, please.

Cheers.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Postby m3ideh on Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:25 pm

catweazel wrote:Post the output of this terminal command:
inxi -Gx

And don't forget the model number of the Eee PC, please.

Cheers.

well, i checked it out, here are the results
(sorry for the late reply by the way, and thanks for responding)

mahmoud@mahmoud-1015P ~ $ inxi -Gx
Graphics:  Card: Intel N10 Family Integrated Graphics Controller bus-ID: 00:02.0
           X.Org: 1.11.3 drivers: intel (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x600@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel IGD x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version: 1.4 Mesa 8.0.4 Direct Rendering: Yes
mahmoud@mahmoud-1015P ~ $
m3ideh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nunol on Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:40 pm

I have the Eee 1001P and it only overheated with Ubuntu 11.04 and was a kernel bug/driver problem that was fixed by updating the kernel, something Mint doesn't do by default.

My advice is to update the system with level 1 to 5 updates and check if solves the problem. If it doesn't use "top" to see what is using more CPU, some times it's easy to find out the culprit.
nunol
Level 9
Level 9

Return to Newbie Questions