Can't Boot From USB

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Can't Boot From USB

Postby Emancipation on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:30 pm

I downloaded and installed Mint 14 Cinnamon 32bit. I loved it! I made the stupid mistake tho that I downloaded it as a 32bit instead of 64bit since I have a 64bit processor. Cinnamon graphics freezes my computer from time to time, so I wanted to upgrade to a 64bit MATE edition. My problem is I can't even boot the installer from a USB. I've tried to different types of flashdrives, so the flashdrives aint the problem. I've tried different linux distros like Ubuntu, and thats not the problem either. I even used the software already installed on Mint to make a bootable drive. That didnt work either. I changed the booting sequence and put the USB as #1 in the BIOS config. That didnt work either -____- Everytime I try to boot it up from a flashdrive, it takes me to a black screen with a white underscore just flashing. I left my computer on once to see if it would load. After a while, it was still on there. I was thinking of wiping the HDD but I dont want to reinstall the drivers to config them at 64bit. So... any help?

AND yes, I have searched the forums for help but I can't find anything to my scenario.
Emancipation
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't Boot From USB

Postby catweazel on Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:24 am

What you don't give are the vital clues needed to help you; how you are putting the images onto USB, what software you used to do it and what operating system you are using, whether or not you formatted the drive, etc. etc. Nevertheless, I'll make some assumptions...

I assume you have formatted the flash drive as FAT32. Format it at as FAT16, not FAT32, then try again using Unetbootin to put the image on the flash drive.

<aside, for those who don't know>
Yes, I know FAT32 is the default, regular format to use. However flash drives that fail to boot and are formatted FAT32 will often work flawlessly if the drive is formatted FAT16. Go figure.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Can't Boot From USB

Postby Emancipation on Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Yeah, I was using a FAT32 USB. I changed it into FAT16. It still didnt work. I used the "USB Image Writer" to make a bootable USB and everything was working until it said that I have a corrupt kernel -.- I was going to use UNetbooting or whatever its called, but it wont read the USB because its FAT16 instead of 32. And like before, its not booting off of FAT32 USBs.
Emancipation
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions