Running Linux Mint in Virtual Box w/ Win 7

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
pocketdrummer

Running Linux Mint in Virtual Box w/ Win 7

Post by pocketdrummer »

Hardware:
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 motherboard
Intel Core i7-920 @ 3.7Ghz
6GB DDR3 @ 1400
eVGA GTX 570

Software:
Windows 7 64-bit SP1
Virtual Box version 4.2.8 r83876
Linux Mint 14 (Cinnamon)

OK, so with all that out of the way, I'm having some performance issues as well as some serious bugs with the hot corner. When I move windows around, it's very choppy and occasionally the entire system will lock up. Also, when logging in, occasionally I'll get a black screen and have to restart. Also, the hot corner will trigger all by itself with the mouse in the middle of the screen. I haven't really been able to figure out what causes it, but I have to disable it entirely just to use the computer.

Here's the virtualbox settings:
Chipset: PIIX3
Extended Features: Enable IO APIC
Base Memory: 3000MB
Processor: 4 (of 8 total. Hyperthreading and all...)
Hardware Virtualization: Enable VT-x/AMD-V
- Enable Nested Paging
Video Memory: 128MB
Extended Features: Enable 3D acceleration
Storage - Attributes - Type: PIIX4
- Use host I/O Cache
Audio Controller: ICH AC97

I'm really at a loss here. What can I do to resolve these issues?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Running Linux Mint in Virtual Box w/ Win 7

Post by passerby »

Not much. Cinnamon is pretty graphics-intensive to begin with, so when it runs in virtualbox performance is less than satisfactory.
Unless someone who's managed to counter such problems comes along, I recommend installing and booting into a different desktop environment.
Give MATE a try. Lightweight and works well with virtualbox, in my experience.
pocketdrummer

Post by pocketdrummer »

passerby wrote:Not much. Cinnamon is pretty graphics-intensive to begin with, so when it runs in virtualbox performance is less than satisfactory.
Unless someone who's managed to counter such problems comes along, I recommend installing and booting into a different desktop environment.
Give MATE a try. Lightweight and works well with virtualbox, in my experience.
I was under the impression that Cinnamon was lighter weight than Unity. Ubuntu w/ Unity runs flawlessly in virtual box.

Also, I found this in the Linux Mint 14 release notes:

Code: Select all

Mouse Integration in Virtualbox

In Virtualbox, if your mouse cursor jumps unexpectedly click on "Machine->Disable Mouse Integration".
However, if I disable mouse integration, the mouse disappears entirely. Is there a way to make the mouse show up again after I disable Mouse integration, or am I expected to just use the keyboard from there on out?
pocketdrummer

Post by pocketdrummer »

This issue appears to be related to this:

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=118125

Which shows the following to be the fix:

Code: Select all

$ xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 0.5 0 0 0 0.5 0 0 0 1.0
$ xinput set-prop "VirtualBox mouse integration" "Coordinate Transformation Matrix" 1.0 0 0 0 1.0 0 0 0 1.0
I also found this:
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=852841

Return to “Beginner Questions”