Why do almost all downloads stop at about 165Mb?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Why do almost all downloads stop at about 165Mb?

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I'm using LInux Mint Nadia on a Compaq computer and it seems that almost none of my downloads make it to the end. Either the download stops with a notification that the source file couldn't be read, or the downloads finishes without a warning but is mostly around 165Mb and is hardly ever complete. Downloads smaller then 165Mb are mostly working OK. I have been using this computer for years already with a Windows XP OS and it never showed to be aproblem then. Please help me with some suggestions how to solve this.

Thanks already,

Douwe
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Why do almost all downloads stop at about 165Mb?

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:29 pm

Have you been using Linux Mint long? The reason I ask is that it sounds like you are either using Linux Mint from a DVD or USB stick, or haven't completed the installation of Linux Mint (a common mistake when installing it from Windows; if there is an "install Linux Mint" icon on your desktop, you need to click that to finish the installation). When running from a DVD or USB stick, or from an unfinished installation started from within Windows, you do not have persistent storage and any files you download are actually kept in your computer's RAM. So once that fills up, the download stops.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:44 pm

Hi,

I'm using Mint since a few months. It is running on a dual boot with Windows XP. Linux is installed on a separate 400Gb harddisk in a 100Gb partition, because I thought that would be enough. As far as I know the installation is completed.
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:27 pm

Ah, then it is something more complicated. Can you post the output of the following command? Open the terminal application from the menu, type the command and press enter to execute it. You can copy text from the terminal, see its Edit menu.
Code: Select all
df -m
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:44 pm

As requested the output of df -m

Bestandssysteem 1M-blokken Gebruikt Beschikbaar Geb% Aangekoppeld op
/dev/sdb5           277853    79449      184290  31% /
udev                  1497        1        1497   1% /dev
tmpfs                  603        1         602   1% /run
none                     5        0           5   0% /run/lock
none                  1506        1        1506   1% /run/shm
/dev/sdc1           953627   636658      316969  67% /media/Elements
/dev/sdb1            96199       90       96110   1% /media/NieuwVolume
/dev/sda2           183633   146483       37151  80% /media/PRESARIO
/dev/sda1             7126     6699         427  95% /media/PRESARIO_RP

thanks,

Douwe
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:22 pm

Well, color me confused... I'm not sure what could be causing the problem you are having. It's commonly as problem with either running from the live image, having storage only in RAM, or from a harddisk or ramdisk that has filled up. None of those are the case.

You could try tailing your /var/log/syslog file during such a big download, to see if any errors pop up that might explain this. You can do so on the terminal with:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

Any lines written to the syslog will immediately also show up on that terminal. Each line includes a timestamp so you can match it to what is happening.

It might also be a problem with your network interface drivers, as I think I recall there have been for some specific network cards problems after a certain number of bytes have been downloaded. Can you share the details of your network cards, which you can get with this command:
inxi -SNxz

And do you connect to the Internet through a wired or wireless connection?
Last edited by xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Path to logfile corrected
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:47 pm

Hi xenopeek,

the result of the tail -f /etc/var/syslog is:

System: Host: douweslinuxdoos Kernel: 3.2.0-36-generic x86_64 (64 bit, gcc: 4.6.3)
Desktop: N/A Distro: Linux Mint 13 Maya
Network: Card: Realtek RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ driver: 8139too ver: 0.9.28 port: df00 bus-ID: 02:03.0

I'm connected to the internet via a Ziggo cable broadband connection, and as you can see using a wired connection. Can it have something to do withe the wired connection as I'm having the idea my network connection keeps on dropping? I see a lot of times that the browser is connecting as I open a new window or start using a window after some time.

Il'll try the download en post the results in this tread.

thanks,

Douwe
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:01 pm

Douwe S wrote:the result of the tail -f /etc/var/syslog is:

Yeah, you'd let that continue to run as you download a big file :) If the download doesn't complete as intended, check the terminal you have this command running on and see if any errors popped up.
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby DrHu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:12 pm

Montor the system with top or htop seeing what is taking up most resources, and the status of downloads
--also check the response setting for your isp connection
ifconfig
netstat
ping
--and so on

Or use a GUI network application for a more convenient status of the network connections
http://www.ubuntugeek.com/bandwidth-mon ... users.html
--you may find other you prefer..

You also may want to try a download manager to enable you to pause/resume/stop the downloads: several would be aviailable for various browsers..
--or you could ways use ftp or sftp (secure downloads)
http://filezilla-project.org/download.php
--a pretty good ftp manager..
DrHu
Level 17
Level 17

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:46 pm

Hi xenopeek,

I was trying the tail command but got this message: tail -f /etc/var/syslog
tail: kan ‘/etc/var/syslog’ niet openen om te lezen: Bestand of map bestaat niet

what to do next? I couldn't find a command or directory that looked somehow the same as you requested.

thanks,

Douwe.
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:01 pm

Oh sorry :shock: Gave you some clobbered path, corrected it in my post above. The command is instead:
tail -f /var/log/syslog

It will immediately output the last few lines from the logfile for context, but you can ignore those. What people usually do is press enter a few times in the terminal to insert some blank lines and then start whatever program or action they want to monitor, so you have a clear divider on your screen as to where you did that. (You can also scroll back using the scrollbar. Press Ctrl+C to abort the monitoring of this logfile.)

And with that, I'm heading off to bed. Seems I was getting sleepy :)
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Postby MtnDewManiac on Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:00 am

Douwe S wrote:I'm connected to the internet via a Ziggo cable broadband connection, and as you can see using a wired connection. Can it have something to do withe the wired connection as I'm having the idea my network connection keeps on dropping?

Well, it is hard to download after your connection to the Internet disappears :lol: .

Due to the above and the size of the files you are downloading (since they must be larger than 165meg, or this would all be moot), I find myself wondering if you are downloading the files from one of the pirate file repositories - Rapidshare is one that I know by name, but there are dozens (if not hundreds). Apparently, these things have both free and pay setups, and one of the selling points of the paid accounts is the ability to resume transfers after an interruption - which leads me to believe that the free version of these things (or some of these things, at least) does not support resuming interrupted transfers.

BtW, I am not calling you a pirate. This is just one scenario that I read about; for all I know, lots of websites do not support resuming interrupted file transfers.

Here's a thought: Start a transfer of a file that you have had trouble transferring in the past. Pause the operation, wait a few seconds, and then resume it. If it pooches, that is probably your answer and I would start looking into why your Internet connectivity is being interrupted. Could be an issue with the hardware (modem/device overheating?), the cabling, the grounding (guessing here)... Or it could be that - especially if you live in a country such as the USA - your ISP does that on purpose in order to foil those who download/stream pirated files.

It might be useful to email your ISP's tech-support department and simply ask them if there are times when your "always-on" cable Internet access might not always be on, lol, or if there's a chance that they are "micro-interrupting" it.

Or it might be an issue on your end, who knows. That part seems to be getting covered in this thread.

Good luck,
MDM
_____
Proud to be a Mint user running 64-bit Mint 17 XFCE.
"Change should never be your goal but, instead, only a means to reach your goal."
MtnDewManiac
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Douwe S on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:55 am

Hi,

I'm still trying to solve the problem, as I'm not downloading every day I'm kind of slow in keeping this thread. I tried the tail command, it gives about 20 lines from the systemlog and stops? At least I found the system log and I have to admit it's very complicated for me. If I walk through I find a few lines that catch my eye and look for me suspecting:
NetworkManager[1091]: <info> Unmanaged Device found; state CONNECTED forced. (see http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/191889)
Mar 21 16:25:27 NetworkManager[1091]: last message repeated 3 times

This message keeps on coming.
Another one
[16329.084110] 8139too 0000:02:03.0: eth0: link down

I don't know what it means.

My problem is that I don't know what I'm looking for, I have no clear description of the problem as it seems to come and go. What I can see is that a lot of downloads stop before they are finished. I also see that Firefox is having trouble finding connections (it takes sometimes long to open a new window and sometimes it's fast). I found on the forum some trouble with a Realtek NIC and I'm assuming that might have someting to do with it.

But as I'm quite new to Linux I have no idea what to do en where to look for a solution.

I have a new NIC around here, should I installe that and how does that work, or do a Windows-style upgrade to the next version, anyu suggestions?

thanks

Douwe.
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

SOLVED Re: Why do almost all downloads stop at about 165Mb?

Postby Douwe S on Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:13 pm

I don't know what I did or did not but the problem seems to be solved. I want to thank everyone for the help they gave

Douwe.
Douwe S
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xenopeek on Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:26 pm

Well, I'm just glad you managed to solve it regardless of what was the cause :wink:
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions