Can one add a text file to the menu bar for quick access?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
garlicmint

Can one add a text file to the menu bar for quick access?

Post by garlicmint »

Hello. I have a text file on my desktop that has info I need to check often. I do not want to have to minimize windows to see the desktop each time, is there a way to add it the menu-bar? Thank you :D
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
kc1di
Level 18
Level 18

Re: Can one add a text file to the menu bar for quick access

Post by kc1di »

garlicmint wrote:Hello. I have a text file on my desktop that has info I need to check often. I do not want to have to minimize windows to see the desktop each time, is there a way to add it the menu-bar? Thank you :D
Hi garlicmint and welcome to mint,
I'm assuming your using cinnamon, but you didn't say in your post.
if it's cinnamon I couldn't find a way (though there may be one) to add a text file but you can right click the panel select add applet and add the recent document applet That way as long as your accessing that document it will show in the recent documents and be available to you on the panel.
Cheers
Easy tips : https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/ Pjotr's Great Linux projects page.
Linux Mint Installation Guide: http://linuxmint-installation-guide.rea ... en/latest/
Registered Linux User #462608
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

In LM14 Cinnamon -

Create a launcher on the panel for an ordinary text document named - just for example - My text document located on the Desktop:

Right-click an icon already on the panel, eg. Firefox
Click Add
Fill in:
Name: My text document
Application: gedit /home/your-own-user-name/Desktop/'My text document'
(Note the quotation marks enclosing the document name - this is only needed if document name has more than one word)
Icon: I clicked on the three dots next to the box, and navigated to /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/emblems/24/emblem-documents.png - choose your own
Click Open
Click Add

For mate, it will be slightly different:

Right-click panel > Add to panel > Custom Application Launcher > Add
Fill in the fields as before:
Name: My text document
Command (instead of Application as above): subsitute pluma instead of gedit, eg.
pluma /home/your-own-user-name/Desktop/'My text document'
Icon: click the icon picture on the left of the create launcher box and navigate to your chosen icon
Last edited by caribriz on Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garlicmint

Post by garlicmint »

tyvm, but can you explain this part to me "Create a launcher on the panel for an ordinary text document named - just for example - My text document located on the Desktop"

how would i create it? PS. this is for Linux Mint 12 Cinnamon

by create a launcher do you mean "new item"
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

We posted at the same time ....
Give me a few minutes ...
garlicmint

Post by garlicmint »

tyvm, no rush :)
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Just booted into LM12 Cinnamon on a flashdrive - very slow :x
Confirmed the process is exactly the same as for LM14 Cinnamon above.
garlicmint wrote:by create a launcher do you mean "new item"
I'm not sure what you mean here.

You have a plain text document on your desktop? - use its name instead of my own example: My text document
You already have an icon to launch a program on your panel, eg. a Firefox icon on your panel?

Then right-click the Firefox (or any other program icon there on your panel) ...
Click Add
Fill in:
Name: Name of your document
Application: gedit /home/your-own-user-name/Desktop/'Name of your document'
(Note the quotation marks enclosing the document name - this is only needed if document name has more than one word)
Icon: navigate to /usr/share/icons/Mint-X/emblems/24/emblem-documents.png*** - or choose your own icon located elsewhere
Click Add

Edit: ***Just realised this icon isn't located there in LM12 Cinnamon - try a similar icon instead:
/usr/share/icons/Mint-X/mimetypes/24/application-text.png
Last edited by caribriz on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garlicmint

Post by garlicmint »

i only have icon on the menu bar that comes up when i click the cog icon or hit the "windows" button. I don't keep icons on the tas bar at the bottom. It hides most of the time anyway.

i can only left click the icons in the menu.
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Click Menu > Internet > right-click Firefox > click Add to panel
garlicmint

Post by garlicmint »

ty, i think i can take it from here following your previous suggestion :)

so I can only add it to the panel? I cant have it in the menu favorites ?
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

Yes, you can have it in the Menu - I thought you just wanted it on the panel ... :roll:

Right-click Menu > Edit Menu
On left side under Applications click Other
On right side, click New Item (I now know this is what you were referring to before - crossed signals)
Fill in the fields the same as above ....
Click Close

Click Menu > Other
Right-click My text document (whatever is your new launcher's name) > click Add to favorites

You could have done this from the beginning - also adding it to the panel at the same time :lol:
We took the scenic route ....
garlicmint

Post by garlicmint »

i have it just how i wanted :) ty again
caribriz

Post by caribriz »

No worries - got there in the end :)
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

I'm glad the original post was unclear because it never would have occurred to me that the secret to adding a custom panel launcher was through an existing panel launcher.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.

Return to “Beginner Questions”