user or superuser

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

user or superuser

Postby Dominosdad on Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:24 am

I have not set up any accounts other than the original.
The command line prompt is a $
When I look at Linuxcommand.org it says that this $ is a user prompt and the # is the admin/superuser.
I don't understand this. This account seems to have all the admin privilages. And there is no other.
Or does MINT use a different protocol?
:?:
Dominosdad
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: user or superuser

Postby Nimphina on Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:03 am

Can you use apt-get without using sudo? Using sudo gives a normal user the ablity to run programs with superusers privliages which can be defined in the sudoers file.
Nimphina
Level 1
Level 1

Postby palo on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 pm

Dominosdad wrote:When I look at Linuxcommand.org it says that this $ is a user prompt and the # is the admin/superuser.

That is correct. Since you are the admin you can elevate privileges in the terminal with the command su and enter your password - you will see the prompt change. Do not enter any command at this level until you know what you are doing. Type exit to return to the user prompt. More often you will be using a Simon Says command like sudo with your password for a one command elevation. HTH

Pat
~/mintmaya/xfce/enlightenment
Help Vampires: A Spotter's Guide
palo
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Dominosdad on Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Gottit, I understand. I tried what you said and all became clear.
it's the same as in the gui, it takes the p/w to give top level control within the admin user's account.
Not like Windows which has a fixed level of control for each login.
Dominosdad
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions