Speaker popping noise

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Speaker popping noise

Postby paulco on Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:49 am

Hello,

I just installed Mint 14 on a dual boot. It works great apart from the popping noise every few seconds from the left speaker. It stays no matter what the volume is set to. Sometimes it'll boot no problem but most of the time it occurs and is unusable.

Could anyone help please?

Thanks,

Paul
paulco
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Speaker popping noise

Postby xenopeek on Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:04 am

Please do not cross-post, see the forum rules. I've deleted your other two topics with the same question.

This is probably specific to your hardware.

Are these external or internal speakers? Might be that during installation of Linux Mint 14 you shifted something on your desk and half-pulled out a cord or something--if these are external speakers I'd try unplugging all the cords from your speakers and carefully plug them anew. I suddenly had a hum in my right speaker yesterday, after cleaning my desk. So hence my suggestion for that as I have some recent experience :)

If might also be related to your audio chip driver. Please open the terminal application from the menu and run the following command. Share the output here, it will tell us some basics of your system. You can copy text to/from the terminal, see its Edit menu.
Code: Select all
inxi -Fz
xenopeek
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions