Sony vaio booting/display issue

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Sony vaio booting/display issue

Postby digitalcentury on Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:05 pm

Hi, very new to mint (although did do a very tiny basic bit with xandros on an eeepc) and have been trying to get Mint (nadia) working on an old Sony Vaio all in one VGC V3M for which the specs are below. When I first booted up to test from the live DVD without looking at the boot sequence the display was unviewable. You could make out features of the screen but it was mostly just fuzzy lines in odd colours and black. So I eventually managed to get it to restart and ran it in compatibility mode whereupon the display did work but not full screen. I did Google it but the results weren't very useful and I'm loathed to fully install it if it doesn't like the display. When I checked the display with a command xrandr in Terminal it said it didn't recognise the display which I guess is down to the fact that it is built in.

Is there any way of forcing the display mode to accept the resolution (I tried with xrandr to little effect) and get the display working perfectly each time? mode?

Thanks.

Intel Pentium 4 processor 3200 Mhz 3.20EGHz
L2 Cache (kb) 1024
Memory Size (MB) 1024 MB 400Mhz PC3200 (DIMM)
Display: Size (in) 17, 1280 x 768, WXGA
Graphic Card nVidia GeForce FX Go5700
Total Graphics Memory (MB) 128
Audio Chipset AD1981B - 16-bit CD-quality stereo sound
Chipset Manufacturer Analog Devices
Audio Type AC Link
Hard Drive IDE (GB) 250
Optical Drive CD, CD-R/RW, DVD, DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, DVD DL.
4 USB Ports
4 Pin i.LINK (IEEE1394) 2
Headphone & Microphone Jack, Line In,Optical Out
Modem Built-in Modem V.92
Ethernet network 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T
Expansion Slots PC Card Slot 1
digitalcentury
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions