How to create a user when /home directory already exists

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to create a user when /home directory already exists

Postby webtarget on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:02 pm

I just installed LM 14 over my LM 13. I had no problem keeping my /home directory and user files. But, my wife's user account doesn't exist. How do I create it without wiping out her files?

I figure I can do it the "hard" way and change her directory name and then create a user and then move her files into there. But, is that the only/cmd line way to do it or is there a way using the User Accounts utility without erasing her files?

Thanks.
webtarget
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to create a user when /home directory already exists

Postby catweazel on Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:35 am

webtarget wrote:I figure I can do it the "hard" way and change her directory name and then create a user and then move her files into there.

You could have it done by now. That's the way I'd do it. I wouldn't bother trying to find a shortcut because it's a simple operation.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Re: Create a user when /home directory already exists [SOLVE

Postby webtarget on Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:51 am

True, I could have done it by now.

But, I made a current backup and then created a login using the gui. It didn't wipe out the files. But, you do have to chown to make sure the user and files / directories match after you create the login.
webtarget
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions