How to create a user when /home directory already exists

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

How to create a user when /home directory already exists

Post by webtarget »

I just installed LM 14 over my LM 13. I had no problem keeping my /home directory and user files. But, my wife's user account doesn't exist. How do I create it without wiping out her files?

I figure I can do it the "hard" way and change her directory name and then create a user and then move her files into there. But, is that the only/cmd line way to do it or is there a way using the User Accounts utility without erasing her files?

Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
catweazel
Level 19
Level 19

Re: How to create a user when /home directory already exists

Post by catweazel »

webtarget wrote:I figure I can do it the "hard" way and change her directory name and then create a user and then move her files into there.
You could have it done by now. That's the way I'd do it. I wouldn't bother trying to find a shortcut because it's a simple operation.
"There is, ultimately, only one truth -- cogito, ergo sum -- everything else is an assumption." - Me, my swansong.
webtarget
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Create a user when /home directory already exists [SOLVE

Post by webtarget »

True, I could have done it by now.

But, I made a current backup and then created a login using the gui. It didn't wipe out the files. But, you do have to chown to make sure the user and files / directories match after you create the login.

Return to “Beginner Questions”