[SOLVED] Help with uninstalling packages!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
P1xel

[SOLVED] Help with uninstalling packages!

Post by P1xel »

I'm using Linux Mint 14 KDE 64-bit.
So, I was fiddling around downloading cinnamon and MATE from the Software Manager to see how they look. Cinnamon was OK but MATE looked nothing like MATE! So I started uninstalling the packages, just to find it doesn't uninstall everything! Only a few MB of space, and semi broken desktops still exist in the session options!!!! :(

Could someone PLZ help me delete these packages! :| I have lost a GB of space, and is left with 2 semi working desktops(and fully working KDE of course)

P1xel
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
viking777

Re: Help with uninstalling packages!

Post by viking777 »

There is no 'undo' command in the apt vocabulary. You have to continue to uninstall the packages manually.

Code: Select all

cat /var/log/apt/history.log
Will tell you what you installed.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get purge xxxx yyyy zzzz 
(Where xxxx yyyy zzzz are the names of the packages you installed)

Will remove them for you.
P1xel

Post by P1xel »

Erm, I unistalled the 'main' packages, which yielded me 10MB of free space, so do I need to install them again to use the autoremove command??
Or will it screw up and not know what to remove? Sorry, I'm a beginner in Linux Mint :oops:
P1xel

Post by P1xel »

Thanks CtrlAltDel, autoremove worked fine!

Thank you so much! :D

Return to “Beginner Questions”