Customizing my desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
miken22

Customizing my desktop

Post by miken22 »

Hey, I'm fairly new to Linux and have been trying to figure out how to change my desktop themes. I've downloaded some different icons and window themes but when I change them in the drop down menu from Cinnamon Settings nothing happens. The only time there is a change is when I open a folder as root, which doesn't make sense because I'm the system administrator so I should be able to see the changes anyways. Everything in the applications part of the start menu has disappeared and I cannot find a way to get them back and all the GTK themes have disappeared too. Any help would be awesome, thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
aw2103

Re: Customizing my desktop

Post by aw2103 »

Hi. I'm new too and am having the same problem.

Freshly installed one of the first things I've tried to do was go to Cinnamon Settings and change the theme. Won't change... :|

Let's me change the headers etc on the menu, but nothing happens when I click on any of the Themes listed.

Iknow I'm missing something, but have no idea where to start looking...
aw2103

Re: Customizing my desktop

Post by aw2103 »

Had a further hunt around for ideas - the Linux Mint user guide is somewhat lacking in any assistance - and established I'm running in fallback mode.

Free3d.org has my graphics card (Intel 82865g) listed as being compatible and DRI has a "yes", which suggests it should be able to handle 3d acceleration, but one post elsewhere on here suggests it isn't supported.

Am totally confused now - is it supported or not? If so, how do I update the drivers for it and if not, which card would be a suitable replacement?

Return to “Beginner Questions”