[Solved] update manager

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[Solved] update manager

Postby mattboy on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:38 pm

Hello, I'm running Linux Mint 14 Cinammon. I have a couple of questions about the update manager.
1) How often should I recieve updates? It's been a few days and my system keeps saying I"m up to date.
2) When I try to manually update through the update manager, I get this:
The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems. If available an older version of the failed index will be used. Otherwise the repository will be ignored. Check your network connection and ensure the repository address in the preferences is correct.

and this:
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dockbar-main/p ... ce/Sources 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/dockbar-main/p ... 6/Packages 404 Not Found
Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

Any solutions?
Last edited by mattboy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
mattboy
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: update manager

Postby bigj231 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:55 pm

To fix those errors, remove those sources from you "software Sources" list. Search your menu for that.
Mint pushes updates as needed. It could be hourly, it could be weekly. I wouldn't be worried unless it's been months since you've seen an update. If you really want to be sure, open a terminal and run:
Code: Select all
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
That will update your package list and thin your system. Updating your system always poses a risk of breaking something. If you really want to live on the edge, and have the latest kernel, try dist-upgrade instead of upgrade. That will probably screw stuff up if you dual-boot.
Running on a 4-slot toaster @ 60Hz
bigj231
Level 5
Level 5

Re: update manager

Postby catweazel on Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:39 am

bigj231 wrote:To fix those errors, remove those sources from you "software Sources" list.

<facepalm>
He's got an ubuntu PPA with Nadia named as the distribution. Have another go.
Mint Testing Team & Mint Donor #3606
KDE 4.12.0, custom preemptive kernel 3.12.5,
Intel i7 4770K @ 4.7GHz, 16GB 2666MHz XMP,
4 Samsung 840 PRO 512GB SSDs in RAID0,
6TB HW RAID10, dual 24" Acer X243H,
Gigabyte nVidia GTX 680 Super Overclock
catweazel
Level 7
Level 7

Re: [solved]update manager

Postby mattboy on Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:20 pm

thank you very much. everything is now just fine