(SOLVED) Reboot and select proper boot device

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

(SOLVED) Reboot and select proper boot device

Postby GoldFish on Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:21 pm

Computer: HP pavilion a847c
This may belong in the booting questions but since I'm still new, I placed it here, hopiing I would understand all reponses.
I installed mint 13 xfce, had been using it for a month or 2. The computer's coolling fan had been running and I noticed a build up of dust on the covers breather holes. So as I have done over the last 10 years (with no problems), I cleaned out the dust including the heat sink. I did remove all cords including the power. When I went to restart I got "reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key"

Never had that any other time so is it something to do with linux?
Other things it could be:
The motherboard battery has never been changed and I unplugged. If that is the case how do I get it to boot?
I have never applied that stuff between the heat sink and the processor after cleaning the sink.
Right before cleaning it, it kept freezing up while my son was playing supertuxcart. The MoBo looks good except one capacitor is bulging. If this is the problem, why would it do this only when unplugged unless it's the battery.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I fixed it by turning off the 6 way, unplugging the power cord, hitting the HD power button 4-5 times, letting it sit like that for 15 min., putting the cord back in, turning on the 6 way and rebooting. All is well. Guess I should: get a new battery whether thats what is was or not, keep HD backup better, and get a new CPU before this one does go.
Thanks for help everyone. :lol:
GoldFish
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions