How to see what *I* installed?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

How to see what *I* installed?

Postby Q-collective on Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 am

So, I'm going to reinstall Mint to setup an LVM+Encryption and I wondered if there is an easy way to see what I installed on my system? I'm talking about packages that I installed either directly through apt-get or through the Software Manager front-end.
Q-collective
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to see what *I* installed?

Postby FireSoul on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:22 pm

Q-collective wrote:So, I'm going to reinstall Mint to setup an LVM+Encryption and I wondered if there is an easy way to see what I installed on my system? I'm talking about packages that I installed either directly through apt-get or through the Software Manager front-end.

Hello.

Maybe the easiest way to see all packages is to go to synaptic and look what packages are with green mark.All marked packages are installed,but see some only part of programs.
You can see information when klick file you want.
Right buttom of mouse show for you what can do and choose .Don't remove packages what you don't know,it can cause problems use mint.

It's better use own packages of linux distro,so use them from synaptic ,or from package manger.They are the same in both.

I hope this help you.
FireSoul
Level 3
Level 3

Postby viking777 on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:49 pm

Q-collective wrote:So, I'm going to reinstall Mint to setup an LVM+Encryption and I wondered if there is an easy way to see what I installed on my system? I'm talking about packages that I installed either directly through apt-get or through the Software Manager front-end.

Mintbackup should do this for you (backup software section). I have to admit I have never used it for real though, only played with it, so I don't know how good it is.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Q-collective on Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:24 pm

viking777 wrote:

Mintbackup should do this for you (backup software section). I have to admit I have never used it for real though, only played with it, so I don't know how good it is.

Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks!
Q-collective
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions