Live CD can't see my wireless connection

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Live CD can't see my wireless connection

Postby MirzaKhan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Hey everyone

I'm currently using a Dell Inspiron laptop with a wireless network card. I just burned a Linux Mint live DVD and got it to boot up, but the OS won't see the wireless connection, only the wired one. The apartment I'm using doesn't have any physical network connections, only a wireless network, so this means I can't connect my laptop to the internet at home with Linux Mint. Are there any drivers or anything else I can download to help this problem?

Also, my touchpad has a feature where if you tap it, the system registers a click...and this doesn't work in Linux Mint either. Unlike the wireless connection, this isn't really essential, but I would like to get it to work.
MirzaKhan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Live CD can't see my wireless connection

Postby MirzaKhan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:02 pm

I checked Device manager-my NIC is listed as a Dell Wireless 1397 WLAN mini-card. I found a 64-bit Linux driver on the card manufacturer's website-is there any way I can put it on the CD, or do I have to install Linux Mint on my hard drive first and then install the driver?
MirzaKhan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions