[solved]MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

[solved]MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

Postby heyitsjeff on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:07 pm

[solved]

Hello gurus,

I have a Samsung R580 laptop running just Linux Mate 14. I also have a 500 gb NTFS USB drive that I want to transfer some files from before I use gparted on it. Neither drive are SSD.

I plugged it in via USB and went about deleting and moving files over, doing one operation at a time. At first I was working with one or two files and it was fine but once I tried to delete or move large batches of files panels started freezing, disks stopped reading/writing, All in all it ultimately led to data corruptionin the USB drive that spent half a day recovering in my windows system.

So, what gives? I looked around the net and all of the posts and articles aren't any newer than 2006. I looked anyway and of course have the right version of everything.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by heyitsjeff on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient Toshiba laptop: Zorin Lite OS, Samsung R80 laptop: Mint 14 Cinnamon, dell HTPC Win7/ Mint 14 dual boot, ancienct Compaq desktop: TBD, 5 old Acer laptop: Mint LDXE. Currently reading: Linux for Dummies.
heyitsjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

Postby kingnick42 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.
kingnick42
Level 1
Level 1

Postby heyitsjeff on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 pm

kingnick42 wrote:Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.

sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Been a little ill. Anyway, the different USB didn't quite work out and I ended up restoring the backup drive again. However, I found some stray packages form somethng I installed that caused problems. Deleted those and then downloaded a tool called NTFS configuration tool. Enabled write mode, After that, worked like a charm. Just deleted files in the backup drive I didn't need and dumped all of the files I did want in one big folder.
Ancient Toshiba laptop: Zorin Lite OS, Samsung R80 laptop: Mint 14 Cinnamon, dell HTPC Win7/ Mint 14 dual boot, ancienct Compaq desktop: TBD, 5 old Acer laptop: Mint LDXE. Currently reading: Linux for Dummies.
heyitsjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kingnick42 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm

heyitsjeff wrote:
kingnick42 wrote:Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.

sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Been a little ill. Anyway, the different USB didn't quite work out and I ended up restoring the backup drive again. However, I found some stray packages form somethng I installed that caused problems. Deleted those and then downloaded a tool called NTFS configuration tool. Enabled write mode, After that, worked like a charm. Just deleted files in the backup drive I didn't need and dumped all of the files I did want in one big folder.

Ok, good to hear its working now. If its fixed, please mark the thread as solved :)
kingnick42
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions