[solved]MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[solved]MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

Postby heyitsjeff on Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:07 pm

[solved]

Hello gurus,

I have a Samsung R580 laptop running just Linux Mate 14. I also have a 500 gb NTFS USB drive that I want to transfer some files from before I use gparted on it. Neither drive are SSD.

I plugged it in via USB and went about deleting and moving files over, doing one operation at a time. At first I was working with one or two files and it was fine but once I tried to delete or move large batches of files panels started freezing, disks stopped reading/writing, All in all it ultimately led to data corruptionin the USB drive that spent half a day recovering in my windows system.

So, what gives? I looked around the net and all of the posts and articles aren't any newer than 2006. I looked anyway and of course have the right version of everything.

Any thoughts?
Last edited by heyitsjeff on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ancient Toshiba laptop: Zorin Lite OS, Samsung R80 laptop: Mint 14 Cinnamon, dell HTPC Win7/ Mint 14 dual boot, ancienct Compaq desktop: TBD, 5 old Acer laptop: Mint LDXE. Currently reading: Linux for Dummies.
heyitsjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: MATE 14 unstable with NTFS USB drive

Postby kingnick42 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:01 pm

Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.
kingnick42
Level 1
Level 1

Postby heyitsjeff on Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:35 pm

kingnick42 wrote:Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.

sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Been a little ill. Anyway, the different USB didn't quite work out and I ended up restoring the backup drive again. However, I found some stray packages form somethng I installed that caused problems. Deleted those and then downloaded a tool called NTFS configuration tool. Enabled write mode, After that, worked like a charm. Just deleted files in the backup drive I didn't need and dumped all of the files I did want in one big folder.
Ancient Toshiba laptop: Zorin Lite OS, Samsung R80 laptop: Mint 14 Cinnamon, dell HTPC Win7/ Mint 14 dual boot, ancienct Compaq desktop: TBD, 5 old Acer laptop: Mint LDXE. Currently reading: Linux for Dummies.
heyitsjeff
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kingnick42 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:51 pm

heyitsjeff wrote:
kingnick42 wrote:Have you tried a different USB port? Odd as that may sound, sometimes it can be the cause. If you're using a USB 3 port, try a USB 2 port, as those are, in my experience, more reliable for data transfers.

sorry it's taken me a while to reply. Been a little ill. Anyway, the different USB didn't quite work out and I ended up restoring the backup drive again. However, I found some stray packages form somethng I installed that caused problems. Deleted those and then downloaded a tool called NTFS configuration tool. Enabled write mode, After that, worked like a charm. Just deleted files in the backup drive I didn't need and dumped all of the files I did want in one big folder.

Ok, good to hear its working now. If its fixed, please mark the thread as solved :)
kingnick42
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions