Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

Postby mastermind16X on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:27 pm

I have my computer set to dual boot Mint 13 and Windows 7. It dual boots by partitions (meaning Mint is on one and Windows is on another, AKA it isn't set up as a VM or having Mint installed like a program) and every time I want to change OS's I have to restart my computer and choose the other OS from the boot menu. Is there any way to change this, or do I need to just keep rebooting and reselecting?
"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
-Albert Einstein
mastermind16X
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Is restarting the only way to change OS's?

Postby passerby on Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:36 pm

AFAIK, rebooting is indeed the only way.
Home PC: Xubuntu 14.04 x64, Nvidia GTX650, i7 3770K, 16GB RAM, Asus Xonar DX
Work PC: Mint 13 x64 XFCE, Nvidia GT620, i5 3470, 8GB RAM
Laptop: System76 Kudu Pro, Xubuntu 14.04 x64

My HTML5 login themes + screenshots
passerby
Level 6
Level 6

Postby eanfrid on Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:56 am

If you don't want to have to reboot, either OS or both must be running on a virtual machine run by the other one (or by an hypervisor).
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Postby mastermind16X on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 pm

Is there a way to run the partition of Linux through a virtual machine? I've never dealt with virtual machines before and really have no idea how they work.
"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity."
-Albert Einstein
mastermind16X
Level 1
Level 1

Postby eanfrid on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:06 pm

Short: Yes.

It is not the simplest way but it is possible to use raw disks/partitions containing a "real" OS under any virtualization software. At least for VirtualBox, KVM and VMWare and perhaps Xen (not sure, very probably like the others, but I don't use it).

A raw Windows system is probably the least compatible for this kind of use (plus: too many hardware changes usually require re-activation of the Windows license).

Linux distribs and BSD are the most versatile and should not complain much regarding hardware changes if they are used alternatively either as "real" OS or as virtual machines.
Main desktop: Debian GNU/Linux Wheezy 64bit w/custom 3.14 longterm kernel - MATE 1.8.1
(i5 2400@3.7GHz - 16GB DDR3 - HD6770 w/radeon driver - SSD+RAID1)
True private storage on SpiderOak
eanfrid
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions