lost in Mint KDE

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

lost in Mint KDE

Postby malcolmschosha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Yesterday I installed Linux Mint KDE (64 bit) on a computer, and wonder if that may be the wrong version for me. I am lost to the extent that I can not figure out how to set up login for two user accounts. I did find a video describing how to create User Accounts, which is here: http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=d_3fX2CWpls
but it does not work on the version I have on my computer.

I also spent some time reading the user guide that came with the OS to find an answer but, although it is in English, it is really speaking a language I can not understand. I know that questions like this can be frustrating for those who understand computers. Is there some explanation that will help me through this, or do I just need a different version than what I installed?

Thanks.
malcolmschosha
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: lost in Mint KDE

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:42 pm

For me all I do is click on Menu select System Settings. Down at the bottom is User Management double click that.
Enter password and a User & Groups Administration window should popup.

Then you will see the Modify --- New --- Delete buttons.
Click on New should do the trick.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Postby malcolmschosha on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:51 pm

Thanks Orbmiser. That worked. Thank you, your help is much appreciated.
malcolmschosha
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nerdtron on Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:19 pm

malcolmschosha wrote:Yesterday I installed Linux Mint KDE (64 bit) on a computer, and wonder if that may be the wrong version for me. I am lost to the extent that I can not figure out how to set up login for two user accounts. I did find a video describing how to create User Accounts, which is here: http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=d_3fX2CWpls
but it does not work on the version I have on my computer.

I also spent some time reading the user guide that came with the OS to find an answer but, although it is in English, it is really speaking a language I can not understand. I know that questions like this can be frustrating for those who understand computers. Is there some explanation that will help me through this, or do I just need a different version than what I installed?

Thanks.

Hello! :D
I know you want to do it the GUI way but I'll say its a lot easier using the terminal so here goes
To create a user the following command and replace the word username to the name of the user you want to create. The -m option means a home directory for the user will be created automatically so don't forget it.
Code: Select all
sudo useradd -m username

The new user will not be able to login until you sets its login password so use the following command. Replace the word username with that you created earlier.
Code: Select all
sudo passwd username
"I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
nerdtron
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions