Installing Linux Mint 14

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing Linux Mint 14

Postby geoffv on Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:20 pm

I have changed the BIOS in my Toshiba Satellite Pro C850-1CW so I can boot from the DVD drive. Opened the Mint menu and selected to install the program. The first problem I encountered was that the Windows 8 operating system was not detected and I could either install Mint by overwriting the existing operating system or by creating a new partition. Unfortunately, I could not understand the instructions as to how to do this! (I am a NEWBIE after all!!!!) Why am I not being given the option of installing alongsde Windows?
geoffv
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing Linux Mint 14

Postby Orbmiser on Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Hold off on install.

As newer win8 have UEFI secure boot in bios and there is a complete different method for installing with UEFI in mind.
Check the forum for UEFI installing to get the right procedure for installing on the newer win8 systems.
Orbmiser
Level 7
Level 7

Return to Newbie Questions