WiFi Hotspot Connection problem

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

WiFi Hotspot Connection problem

Postby gyozu on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:17 pm

I have an HP64 bit DT which I am using with a wired Linksys ethernet router. No problems there. the Linksys connects and runs just fine.

I have been running Mint 12 with the MATE desktop since late 09. It has been bulletproof.

I want to get a tablet and they need WiFi. Reading around leads me to believe that I can turn my computer into a local Hotspot and use that as a wifi connection for tablet and e-reader.

The HB comes with a WiFi card and antenna and if I left click the network symbol I can see other neighborhood networks.

Went through the procedure to set up an "ad Hoc" network and what happens is that the machine shows that it is connected then it shows disconnected . It will keep looping till I kill the wireless network.

If I go to the additional drivers window there is nothing there. I installed the driver in Mintwifi for atheros and rebooted. Didn not seem to work.

The network controller is and Atheros AR928x from Qualcomm

Edit: set up an ad hoc on identical computer running Win 7 that is on same router. that worked fine and my Kindle e-reader saw the hot spot but peer to peer is not supported by e-reader. Still need to see if Galaxy tab can be made to work. Possibly what I need is a "Virtual Router"

Any thoughts on how to get WiFi working?

EDIT: ran
Code: Select all
sudo lshw | less

*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR928X Wireless Network Adapter (PCI-Express)
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: wlan0
version: 01
serial: 00:21:00:e1:d8:a7
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath9k driverversion=3.0.0-12-generic firmware=N/A latency=0 link=no multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11abgn
resources: irq:17 memory:feaf0000-feafffff

Does this mean that the driver is in there?
gyozu
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions