Firefox

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
SolidSteel

Firefox

Post by SolidSteel »

I just installed linux mint 14 a few days ago. I dont know much about it yet, i've read a few forum posts but most everything is beyond me so far. Since yesterday Firefox has lost connection a few minutes after i start using it. it doesnt look like ive lost connection to the internet, but firefox wont load pages, although i havent tried using other internet applications yet. all i have to do is disconnect and reconnect and its works for another few minutes. Im on wireless netgear router. Im not sure what network card i have but its probably onboard im on a 2yr old asus laptop. If theres is more information needed to help solve can somebody post and tell me how to find the info. Many thanks. :D

edit: changed "linux mint 14"
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
donny662

Re: Firefox

Post by donny662 »

You can check your connection to the internet by pinging Google.

Open a termial and type

Code: Select all

ping www.google.com
If you get a response, that's a good indication that you can connect to the internet, but that there is something wrong with Firefox.

To stop the ping command press ctrl+c (this forcefully exits a program or command that is running in the terminal).

If you can't get a ping from the internet, try pinging your router. You do this by running

Code: Select all

ping <IP address of your router>
To find the IP address of your router, right click on the connection icon in the task bar and select "connection information." The number listed by "Default Route" is the IP address of the router, which is likely something close to 192.168.X.X, where X is a 1 to 3 digit number.

Return to “Beginner Questions”