Overheating at Laptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Overheating at Laptop

Postby knox_x on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Hello Friends.

I have a Laptop ASPIRE 5720z
I've got this file
linuxmint-14.1-cinnamon-dvd-32bit.iso

I first instaled it at my Windows with Wmware, it is working like a charm, I can even access Network, print via Samba, Instaled a couple of softwares and all was so nice.
So I made the Virtual install using USB pendrive it made a dual boot and created the virtual installation with the "INSTALL LINUX" icon. I started to install it but the computer got so hot and shut down.
So I found out it was the Fan not working, I found at the forum a couple of line codes to make it runs but it never runs and I can't install because the computer stay on just 20 to 30 minutes.
I looked around and there are a lot of options from Update Bios to downgrade Kernel I tested some and none worked, How can I get the fans to work?
I really loved this system because it I won't give up.

Thanks
knox_x
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Overheating at Laptop

Postby The.Linux.Experiment on Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:32 pm

knox_x wrote:So I found out it was the Fan not working, I found at the forum a couple of line codes to make it runs but it never runs and I can't install because the computer stay on just 20 to 30 minutes.
I looked around and there are a lot of options from Update Bios to downgrade Kernel I tested some and none worked, How can I get the fans to work?
Thanks

Hi there I'm not the one to be giving advice on messing with code or kernels changes but I do have a suggestion that may allow you to keep your pc running without the fans while trying out different things others may sugest.

The low tech temporary fan solution! Grab a house fan, point it at the fan exhaust port of the laptop, (use cardboard to funnel it if needed) and keep that fan on high. This will keep the air moving over that heat sink, keeping the CPU cool while operating like one would expect from the internal fan. I've had to do this in the past in a bind when a fan went out on my PC and could not afford to be without for a few hours. Hopefully this should keep your system up a little longer than it has been so you can try out those code lines etc you mentioned. Also for your ease of mind regarding hardware damage, if your bios automatic shutdown is working for overheat (a good thing) you can feel cofmfortable that the same will happen if that house fan isn't enough but it should be more than ample in the interim.

Goodluck!

P.S. have you checked to see if the fan hasn't gone bad coincidentally (meaning hardware failure not software)?
Linux Mint 14, Cinnamon

Free 5GB of Cloud space + extra 5GB using this link https://copy.com/?r=A0im67
The.Linux.Experiment
Level 1
Level 1

Postby knox_x on Sat Apr 13, 2013 9:15 am

Hi Thanks.

I Will try that next time so I can get more time to deal with it.
Yes the hardware is ok, I have dual boot and inside windows I can linuxmint well at VMware for hours. But when it is just Linux Mint the thing just don't run.

I found some topics telling that it is a Issue at the Kernel Sensors control system, they got a couple of command lines I used them all but the last line report as not found. I guess it was another Linux Version, I found many people around telling it about Ubunto and others distro.

Some sites tell that just Slackware is free of this issue. I really wanted to know if there is a Linux Mint way to solve this. Dont matter if the Fan keeps at full speed. Maybe a command line to start it?

But Anyway thanks.
knox_x
Level 1
Level 1

Postby knox_x on Wed May 08, 2013 2:47 pm

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=117589

THis link do the trick fellas. THanks
knox_x
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions