Filesystem Root has low disk space warning

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
whyaname

Filesystem Root has low disk space warning

Post by whyaname »

Hello everyone,

I installed LMDE today on my laptop and I partitioned it such that :
\boot - 500 MB
\home - 300 GB
\ - 10 GB

I got a warning after login stating that my filesystem root is running out of space which seems kind of impossible since its been only 7 hours since I installed LMDE. How do I see the root filesystem and if possible increase space in it?

Thanks!
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
passerby

Re: Filesystem Root has low disk space warning

Post by passerby »

/, the 10GB partition, is your root partition.
You can increase its size by booting into a live CD/DVD/USB and using gparted to edit the partitions.
You may first want to try cleaning up a little. eg. uninstalling programs you don't want/need, cleaning up your package cache, etc.
whyaname

Post by whyaname »

If I go into Gparted and try to shrink my /home partition so that it has some preceding space, it gives me a warning saying that the operating system may fail to boot if the boot partition is moved even though I am not touching the boot partition. Is it safe for me to do so?
passerby

Post by passerby »

Yes. Your boot partition is the 500MB one; since you're resizing /home instead, that warning doesn't apply.
whyaname

Post by whyaname »

I just have one last question. Since obviously, the home partition has some data in it at the start of it and I'm shrinking it so that I get some preceding space means that it will shrink from the start. My data will not be affected in any way right? It will move itself automatically to a new space in the home partition? Also, what is a good size for the root partition since I realized that texlive-full itself took up over 2gb.
passerby

Post by passerby »

10GB is usually enough. 20GB is the more than enough for a standard user.
The /home data won't be affected; the data will be moved accordingly.
Unless something bad happens during the resize (eg. you shut down in the middle of it), you should be fine.
whyaname

Post by whyaname »

I did it finally but Jesus Christ!, does it take a long time. It took 5 hours for transferring the data. Thanks a lot for your help :)

Return to “Beginner Questions”